Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevelle T56 clutch bleeding

Old 11-29-2006, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chevelle T56 clutch bleeding

I'm just welding up the raised trans tunnel after the T56 install on my '71 Chevelle. The clutch bleeder is very tight, how have you Chevelle guys solved this?
I'm thinking about cutting an access hole to bleed from inside the car and to put a rubber plug in it. Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Old 11-29-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Don't have a Chevelle, but a rubber plug sounds like a reasonable idea to me.....

Here'd be my only concern: Is there carpet over the area that the plug would go in? What would you do about that if there is? I wouldn't want to have to pull the carpet to bleed the clutch (if it were mine)....

I assume that bleeding the clutch should be something you only do once, but you know what assuming does.

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-29-2006, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to make sure I made enough room there when moving up the trans tunnel. If you haven't finished welding yet I would mark the area, then pull the trans. Than you can massage this area for more space. I guess you could do this after too. A "BFH" always seems to work for me. I think your best bet is making the space now and not worry about a hole.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Stealth,

So you made a dent in the trans tunnel towards the driver's foot then? It's a bit hard to see on the pictures in your engine swap thread.

By the way. I made my own engine mounts on the frame, using the original '00 Camaro rubber mounts. At first I wanted to place the engine as low as possible, maybe 1/2" over the crossmember. With that height the steering centerlink and inner tie rods contacted the oil pan when steering full lock. I had a look on your pictures and my initial position looks very much like yours, but that clearly didn't work for me. Did you verify steering to oil pan clearance when steering lock-to-lock?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I stretched it out towards the gas pedal when welding it back together. I checked the steering and it didn't look like it was going to be a problem where I have the motor now.

How far is the passener side head from the firewall on yours? I have about 1/2".
Old 11-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Teching In

My passenger head is about 3/4" from the firewall. Mine is non-AC, don't know if the firewalls are exactly the same in that area.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drilled a hole and used a plug
Old 11-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I made enough room to fit a 1/4 inch rachet in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chevelle T56 clutch bleeding