Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Crank Freeze Plug Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Crank Freeze Plug Leak?

alright... just out of pure curiosity. how many people are experiencing oil leaks from the brass freeze plug thats inserted in the rear of their aftermarket LSX cranks?? ive been trying to narrow down my oil leak and finally called HPE... come to find out they now silicone their engines on the seal because they have had lots of cranks from their vendors leaking.

anybody else having similar untraceable oil leaks?? mine is leaking fairly substantially when i have a full pan. once its leaked out a quart its just a few small dots (3 to be exact)
Old 11-29-2006, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

ANYBODY?? maybe it is a pretty rare thing :X
Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you think it could be the main seal leaking and not the crank? Of course there is only one way to find out and to repair it.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

negative, we have torn my car apart 3 times now and every time we checked those seals were fine we finally gave up, put a new clutch in the car and decided to deal with it.. after talking to HPE they have said they have had a few cases here and then with the same exact problem, they now seal their cranks when they are installed...
Old 11-29-2006, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

somebody's gotta shed some light on this subject.. i know for fact im not the only one with this problem.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you not check the freeze plug when you worked on the car? If it leaks out a quart then only does a few drips after that, it sounds like a bad oil pan gasket, rear cover gasket, or rear main seal. I JB welded my freeze plug in before installing the engine.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:30 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll assume that the cranks in use with this problem are Eagle. No suprise. Hopefully, once the Compstar crank is available, Eagle will be forced to finally fix this issue.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

My Eagle crank in the402 leaked causing my spec to haze. Had to replace the plug and the clutch. Thought I was a fluke.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:50 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Me too. Call Eagle and they'll blame GM for making bad pilot bearings, try to sell you a stock one with grooves cut in it, and tell you to JB weld it into your crank. Total s@#t.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

hrmm... my spec was also trashed... and now its starting to affect my new mcleod street twin..

btw.. HPE said that they silicone ALL their cranks now... not just the eagle cranks. even the compstar cranks.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Did you not check the freeze plug when you worked on the car? If it leaks out a quart then only does a few drips after that, it sounds like a bad oil pan gasket, rear cover gasket, or rear main seal. I JB welded my freeze plug in before installing the engine.

what do you mean did i check the freeze plug?? why exactly would i even in a million years assume a freeze plug would leak?? you must be kidding? not to mention most cranks are not hollow..

from what i gather your trying to say its my negligence and i should have checked it? it looked good to me. how the hell was i supposed to know it wasnt sealing perfect until i got oil in the motor..

keep in mind.. this is on a vette... not a little camaro like you guys. i have to pull my rear suspension, main backbone plate, all my exhaust, torque tube, and pretty much all my interior just to take this god damn thing apart.

last time we had it apart we thought that the oil was leaking out of somewhere on the crank, thought it might be the flywheel bolt holes. so we gobbed the thread sealant on em this time to seal those.. but then the car still leaked.

this problem is a problem with the parts.. it has nothing to do with the install in the vehicle.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

wow... things are getting a little interesting.... HPE seems to think that a part i order from them in their warrantied motor is not their problem if its defective.. they are saying i should go after EAGLE and that its not their problem... very very dissapointed with the conversation i had with chuck today...
Old 12-04-2006, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

well erik is trying to help me out best he can since HPE is a joke... i cant beleive those scam artists are still sponsors on here...
Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Tenured Member

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
hrmm... my spec was also trashed... and now its starting to affect my new mcleod street twin..

btw.. HPE said that they silicone ALL their cranks now... not just the eagle cranks. even the compstar cranks.
I find that interesting, since the Compstar LS1 cranks won't be available until January......
Old 12-04-2006, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

he may have said something else... started with a C lol sorry if i remembered incorrectly
Old 12-04-2006, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

i lied.. just got a PM lol... it was some of the SLP cranks.

btw.. also got off the phone with eagle... they say that they now pressure test all cranks before they send them out because they have had a few cases now with this same problem.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Yeah I got the impression they might do more for you but I just sent you a PM about this and I will try and personally help you out. Eagle is now pressure testing their cranks and putting pilot bearings in them before we get them but that doesn't help us at all right here and right now. Supposedly this only occurred for a short time and we have only had a few like this but got warned by several other vendors. I think the SLPs and some of the other bigger outfits had the problem and that's how we found out.

FWIW the last few cranks I have gotten from Eagle are the new ones and also already have the pilot bearings pre-installed. I know Alan is trying to help you out the best he can so hopefully you and him can do something. I have problems all the time with parts and unfortunately 90 per cent of these companies wont do that much for me either usually.

Also the Compstar cranks like Joeracer said are not out yet but we did have this issue with another brand one time too and I was warned by another sponsor about those too. I am definitely looking forward to the Compstars hitting the market because they will be very nice.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by racer7088
Yeah I got the impression they might do more for you but I just sent you a PM about this and I will try and personally help you out. Eagle is now pressure testing their cranks and putting pilot bearings in them before we get them but that doesn't help us at all right here and right now. Supposedly this only occurred for a short time and we have only had a few like this but got warned by several other vendors. I think the SLPs and some of the other bigger outfits had the problem and that's how we found out.

FWIW the last few cranks I have gotten from Eagle are the new ones and also already have the pilot bearings pre-installed. I know Alan is trying to help you out the best he can so hopefully you and him can do something. I have problems all the time with parts and unfortunately 90 per cent of these companies wont do that much for me either usually.

Also the Compstar cranks like Joeracer said are not out yet but we did have this issue with another brand one time too and I was warned by another sponsor about those too. I am definitely looking forward to the Compstars hitting the market because they will be very nice.

thanks for posting up erik! i think i missunderstood a little bit so thanks for clarifying

everyone, Erik is the real deal and a good guy. thanks a ton for working with me on the whole ordeal erik, seems how a certain vendor brushed me off and pretty much told me to "deal with it"

Quick Reply: Rear Crank Freeze Plug Leak?