Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness and the LAW

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:12 PM
JUICED96Z

Default Harness and the LAW

Have my WOLFE 10 point ready to go in, my harnesses are in the mail along with my helmet.

I am 6'2 and near 200 pounds. I plan on using some roll bad pading but still don't like the idea of my head nailing steel with pading or not in a wreck.

Car gets around 1k miles (going to the track and local, very close cruise spots) a year and I would feel much safer in the harness on the street.

I talked to a local officer that I know who is a racer and he said he personally would never pull someone over for wearing one and would not say anything unless they wer doing something stupid and got pulled over then he might say something because they ARE safer then a factory belt.

He did say he can't speak for others because there are some that would pull people over for it but he thinks most would not waste their time as long as I was not racing or speeding or anything.

Your thoughts?

I have thought about keeping the factory belts in just in case.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a non moving violation if someone does say something anyway tho right?
Old 11-29-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Non-moving violation or not, its still a ticket that can cause a hike in insurance rates.
If your willing to risk that, fine.

I found that driving like a normal human being and acting mature behind the wheel goes along way in preventing tickets. Whether your violating the law in some way or not. Basically dont drive around like your in the middle of a nascar race and you'll be fine.

Personally, my stock seatbelts are not going back in, and like Juiced, I barely ever drive the TA on the street anyway. So Im not too worried about it.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:26 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i dont see how something safer than stock is going to get you in trouble.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not DOT certified. That's why technically it's not legal.
Just like a polycarbonate windshield is not DOT (but probably safer than safety glass).
Old 11-29-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

lexan is cool lol
Old 11-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Banned

There's a thread from two days ago still on this page. Please search before posting.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/611172-race-harness-street-use-also.html

Nate
Old 12-02-2006, 04:44 PM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by John_D.
It's not DOT certified. That's why technically it's not legal.
Just like a polycarbonate windshield is not DOT (but probably safer than safety glass).

True. And to add to the equation, you can have your insurance cancelled immediately if they find out about the hardware. I speak from experience. Not that i got pulled over, but my agent found out what was in my car a few months after i installed it. next thing you know i got a nice letter in the mail saying bye bye.

granted all i did was change insurance companies, but the fact remains that you do need to be careful of them finding out. Not to mention that its intent is for racing and that puts you on their cancel list. just a littel heads up.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

I work with some guys that work as cops part-time. I asked them aout this the other day. In North and South Carolina its a secondary offense to not be wearing a seat belt. That means they have to pull you for speeding first. They cant just pull you over for wearing a harness. So if you drive like you've got sense and don't get pulled for speeding alot you have nothing to worry about here.

My advise if you want to run the harness is to find out if a seat belt violation is a secondary or primary offense.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

I made it through a seat belt check point with a 5 pt over the summer here in michigan. The cop did like a triple take but never said a thing
Old 12-02-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I cruise around with mine in the car all the time...
If i get pulled over there the least of my worries LOL
Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 PM
JUICED96Z

If my insurance company saw my car they would fall over dead lol.

As far as they know its stock