General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibration increase with speed.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vibration increase with speed.

Hey guys, I have been having an issue with my 98 Z thats began to get progressively worse, At highway speeds (65) the vibration is pretty bad and only gets worse with acceleration. Weird thing is i feel it through the whole car, my passenger seat shakes really bad at speed as well, and passengers feel it worse then I do, I have reason to believe it comes from the front right corner of the car, could any suspension components cause this? I thought perhaps the tire went out of balance somehow, I had two spare tires that had better tread placed on my wheels and re balanced, it helped some, but its still there. One thing I noticed is that the passenger front tire had a excessive wear on the outside of the tire. I also know my tranny mount is shot, but whether i am on the gas or not, makes no difference in the vibe. can I get pointed in a direction to check things out? Thanks guys.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe the alignment?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TraviZ
Hey guys, I have been having an issue with my 98 Z thats began to get progressively worse, At highway speeds (65) the vibration is pretty bad and only gets worse with acceleration. Weird thing is i feel it through the whole car, my passenger seat shakes really bad at speed as well, and passengers feel it worse then I do, I have reason to believe it comes from the front right corner of the car, could any suspension components cause this? I thought perhaps the tire went out of balance somehow, I had two spare tires that had better tread placed on my wheels and re balanced, it helped some, but its still there. One thing I noticed is that the passenger front tire had a excessive wear on the outside of the tire. I also know my tranny mount is shot, but whether i am on the gas or not, makes no difference in the vibe. can I get pointed in a direction to check things out? Thanks guys.
Could be a lot of things. First, get the wheels balanced. Check the tie rods. Also, do you have stock brake rotors? If so they may be warped, and will vibrate the car no matter if your braking or not, mine did and I replaced them with duralast rotors for pretty cheap, vibrations went away.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

My car does pull a little to the right, which I assume is the cause for the excessive wear, Did not know an alignment could cause a vibration, can it?
Old 11-29-2006, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Could be a lot of things. First, get the wheels balanced. Check the tie rods. Also, do you have stock brake rotors? If so they may be warped, and will vibrate the car no matter if your braking or not, mine did and I replaced them with duralast rotors for pretty cheap, vibrations went away.
You guys are quick, thank you. Come to think of it, it only started to vibrate sometime after I put new pads and rotors on the front and rear. I do have a shudder coming to a stop only once the brakes have warmed up, I believe its the rears since I did not replace the rear rotors, And I do not feel it in the steering wheel. could rear brakes cause the whole car to vibrate? the funny part is the passenger seat, it gets hyphy on the highway.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

You guys are quick, thank you. Come to think of it, it only started to vibrate sometime after I put new pads and rotors on the front and rear. I do have a shudder coming to a stop only once the brakes have warmed up, I believe its the rears since I did not replace the rear rotors, And I do not feel it in the steering wheel. could rear brakes cause the whole car to vibrate? the funny part is the passenger seat, it gets hyphy on the highway.
You may want to make sure that the calipers (bolts) are securely tightened, for some reason after I did my brakes, they decided to come loose. I know that I tightened them before I re-installed. Just a thought.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rear brakes can make the whole car vibrate. What rotors did you use for the front? If you used real OEM ones(non aftermarket) get rid of them ASAP, they will warp again. I had mine stock ones turned, and a week later they warped again, and I wasnt beating on the car at all. Now have the dualast for a while, and no warping no matter how hard I brake, very good quickie replacement for cheap rotors.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:21 AM
On The Tree

Your right, I turned my front rotors, didnt replace them. I lied now that I recall correctly. I think I will check my brakes first. and go from there. thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration increase with speed.