Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil leak after cam swap

I've noticed after I swapped the cam in my Vette I have a leak on the passenger side. I can't quite pin point where it's coming from but it has to be from the timing chain cover. It won't leak a drop on the ground but I notice the back of the car has film on it after a long drive. I also noticed the passenger side header has burnt oil on it. I have been putting this off for a few months and now it's bothering me. It's not a bad leak, only loses a half of a quart per 100 miles. What's the easiest way to fix it? Do I really have to remove the timing chain cover? I was thinking I might be able to loosen all the cover bolts, apply gasket sealer on the oil pan, then tighten the oil pan bolts followed by the perimeter bolts. I'm trying to find a way to do it without taking the balancer/pulley off. I hate to have to pull the steering rack out and it's a bitch getting that pulley on and off.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Are you sure it's from the the timing chain cover? Did you make sure you had both the oil pan gasket and timing chaing cover gasket lined up before you torqued the bolts back down? It sounds like you ight of got the gasket pinched just a little bit. Just take Saturday and fix it, you will feel much better when you drive and espically when you have your foot in the throtle.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

It didn't leak before the the cam swap so it has to be the timing cover. It's very hard to find the leak on a Vette. Thanks for the advice, anyone else?
Old 12-01-2006, 07:28 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah, put any RTV sealant on each corner of the pan and put the cover back on.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Turbosixx
It's not a bad leak, only loses a half of a quart per 100 miles.
EEEK! I would hate to hear about a bad leak!

If the only thing you disturbed was the pan and the timing cover, then it's there somewhere.
I agree with WS6FTW, it's most likely that you didn't quite get the gaskets right- that can be tricky.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WetChicken
EEEK! I would hate to hear about a bad leak!

If the only thing you disturbed was the pan and the timing cover, then it's there somewhere.
I agree with WS6FTW, it's most likely that you didn't quite get the gaskets right- that can be tricky.
I agree, take it apart and do over. sounds like the pan of it dripd on the exhaust
Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

What sequence did you tighten the cover bolts and the pan bolts down in? The way I do it is like this.

Apply some silicone to the corners of the oil pan. Put the cover on and run all the bolts down slightly snug to where the cover can't be pulled forward off the engine. Then tighten down the oil pan bolts into the cover and torque them properly. Then go through the proper torque sequence on the cover.

What happens alot of times is if you leave the front cover loose and tighten the oil pan down first it will pull the cover out away from the block slightly, but enough that crankcase pressure will force a small amount of oil out the side of the cover. If you tighten down the oil pan first it will hold the bottom of the cover out.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should tighten the bolts on the cover in a clockwise pattern first. And after those are torques you do the two bolts on the oil pan. Be carefull not to put too much RTV or you will crack the oil pan. I had a very small amount and when I torqued it it cracked the pan on the passenger side. It didnt leak under normal driving but when reving hard there was oil. That might be your case as well. The stock pans are very weak and I know a lot of people that have cracked it in the same location as I have. Lets hope the pan is of a better design on the vette then on my GTO. If its leaking from the timing cover you will see it around the pulley. Thats where it tends to leak, and not around the actual cover itself. Im 99% sure its somewhere where the timing cover and the oil pan meet.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

I have a hard time believing that RTV will make something crack, since it is a gel like consistency, not a solid.
I would believe that a manufacturing defect or Arnold Schwarzenegger tightened your oil pan.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

isnt the vette a two piece pan??
Old 12-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
isnt the vette a two piece pan??
depends on year, early ones were 1 pc

how's the dipstick tube?, I've seen those out an a half inch spraying the bottom of the car with oil
Old 12-30-2006, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you removed the valve covers, timing cover, and pulley (front seal), so it could be coming from any or those. Clean it up, use a good light, mirrors, etc. to locate the actual leak. The time spent up front finding it will pay off, unless you just want to replace all three and make sure you get the source.

When you put the cover on, be sure to put the pulley on with the cover loose to align the seal, tighten all the bolts very slightly, then torque all 10 to 18 ft lbs.

Last edited by DaddySS; 12-30-2006 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

another vote for dabs of rtv on the front of the oil pan in the corners...did it to mine and its perfect... on another note i've seen valve covers leak pretty good if you tighten them to much, they have baby torque specs

Quick Reply: Oil leak after cam swap