Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e problems/rebuild....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e problems/rebuild....

Hey guys im really looking for some help/info on this and i know no one wants to read all this but if you know something about auto transmissions i could really use your help. Thanks.

**Also if you plan on replying to this, you probably would want to read the whole thing and not skim too much b/c i know whenever i read these long ones i always skim through them lol.

OK so ive got the 4l60e which would sometimes over rev and slip a bit from first to second gear. Then it got to the point to where under WOT, it would take a LOOONG time to get from first to second, lots of grinding/friction/vibration througout the shift. Then, the car wouldnt shift out of first gear at all unless i brought the rpms up to about 3500 in first gear and then let off the gas, and it would shift right to third, no second gear at all and no fourth gear either. Stupid me decided to test my luck with the last bit of life in my tranny and laid down some rubber for about 4 seconds until it just let go, tires stopped spinning and the motor reved up. Now ive got no forward gears at all regardless of the shift selector position. I have park, nuetral, and reverse and thats it. And one more thing, one a couple occasions, not very often, i would shift the car out of park into reverse, and the car would NOT move but i could tell the flywheel wasnt quite spinning freely because the car torqued up a little bit when i tapped the gas pedal. Then i got a little more aggressive with the gas and finally it popped into gear but the car wouldnt move unless i hit the gas. Then i put it in nuetral and the car creeped forward. I ran a scanner on it and looked at the data for the transmission, everything appears to be ok as far as the electronics go. After i lost all my forward gears, a few days later i went to move the car and started it and shifted into drive for the hell of it, and it sounded like it ALMOST made it into gear, but didnt. I could tell because of the rpms, say for the sake of a conversation, the rpms drop 400rpm's from when you shift from park or nuetral into a gear, well mine only dropped maybe half the amount of rpm's and didnt go into gear. Car does nothing but sit there and rev up in every forward gear when i try to accelerate. I took out the trans and took off the pan and the fluid looked like death. Dark black with a metallic swirl of metal dust lol.

Now heres my question-

I was told that sometimes a rebuild kit wont solve the problem b/c it could be something else in the trans, such as planetary gears or some other things. Any opinons on WHAT WENT WRONG????? or if a rebuild kit would do the trick? How would i find out what exactly went wrong, so i can maybe narrow down what parts i need to get? And NO i WILL NOT bring it to a professional because i have absolutley no money and cant afford it, and i like sticking my head into things like this anyways its a good learning experience. And no, i wont buy a new one either. Lack of money sucks doesnt it.

OPINIONS ANYONE?!?!?!?
Old 11-30-2006, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well unfortunately even the best builders cannot determine what components need to be replaced without dissambling the trans. Many times there are not any signs of a damaged hard part unitl it is removed, cleaned and inspected. You're right, sometimes a rebuild kit is not enough, hard parts do fail often. My opinion would be to go to the nearest trans supply house and ask for an ATSG book specific to your trans and then decide if you want to go through it.

As far as what happened... it really is a mute point right now... bottom line is it has suffered a significant failure and will need to be rebuilt. 4L60e's require special tools... as do most transmissions, it can be done without them, but it adds to the difficulty.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your pump is shot.. Pull one of the cooler lines off and turn the car on if no fluid comes out your pump is gone..
Old 11-30-2006, 06:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well with the shifting problems and all prior to the no move in forward I would say your looking at a full rebuild and possibly some hard parts but telling you from the outside what you will need is impossible , My suggestion if your going to do it your self , get a haynes manual or and atsg manual and then tear it down and you will just have to do it like we builders do and figure out what your going to need as you go , bear in mind though trans are quite different than other types of mechanical work ,So read every detail of the book very carefully

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-30-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As you tear it down, you have to inspect all the hard parts for damage/wear.