Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

who is running HIDs in factory T/A fog housings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question who is running HIDs in factory T/A fog housings?

i remember a couple folks having this setup before i paid for mine.

LEDGauges/LS1_SS, among others sell kits for the stock housing, so....

i just installed mine from a board member and they look great, but i'm just wondering if anyone has had problems with them melting the housing, before I go and use them too much.

Last edited by Silver02TA; 12-01-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Banned

i've done it, but i bought a complete kit with housings and everything. But ugh you won't melt any housingz dawg. The HID capsule runs at 35w compared to the stock 45-50w halogen. I could put my hand on the housing after the lights being on for an hour and could barely feel any heat. And did you know your HID capsules/bulbs will most likely outlast your car if they do not break? you might want to upgrade your housings anyway tho just cause anything looks better than those stock ones! And I know you like to brag but you weren't the first one to do this mod
damn fuelslut and their file server is down. using fquick to host pics lol

POSt pics when you are done, we all know you love to ***** your car off
Old 12-01-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

well see that's that thing, i touched the fog lense and it was hot as all hell with the HIDs on.

factory halogens are only 27W in the stock fogs, btw. so i'm kinda iffy about 35W being in there, but I can't find any housing replacements that aren't blue

where did you get those housings at?

Last edited by Silver02TA; 12-01-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

where can you find an hid foglight kit? ledgauges.com? Silvero2TA im very interested can you tell us more? Is it a true hid bulb or is it just considered hid? What did you pay for it? how do you install it?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 530transam
where can you find an hid foglight kit? ledgauges.com? Silvero2TA im very interested can you tell us more? Is it a true hid bulb or is it just considered hid? What did you pay for it? how do you install it?
dont sweat it ron ill find u a set of fogs if yours blow up lol well 530trans i hooked up silver02ta with the kit, yes its a true HID kit for use with the stock housing, TRUE plug and play(not "plug and play" like other companies kits who give you everything except they dont mention the fact that you have to "rig" up the two positive/negative cables, and thats one thing i dont like, thats why i decided to do something about it ), plugs into your stock weather-proof plug harness , and most importantly it bolts right in in i'd say 10 mins both sides, only thing that takes alittle time is deciding where to mount the HID ballast boxes (it also comes with all mounting hardware btw) Anythin else im missing just PM me. Hope to hear from you soon
Old 12-01-2006, 03:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post some pics that way if you do melt them we'll at least some pics to remember them by
Old 12-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

I got them from blinglights.net but don't deal with that place. A bunch of scumbags, one of the lenses on the housings broke and it is still under warranty and the guy wouldn't replace because he thinks it happened due to road debris and not as a defect. Then wouldn't give me the info of the manf. of the housing and told me I couldn't buy just one housing but I could buy a whole set for $250
Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Banned

I bought these as a replacement http://www.autoanything.com/lights/69A1333A0A0.aspx
Old 12-13-2006, 10:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fenix99
dont sweat it ron ill find u a set of fogs if yours blow up lol well 530trans i hooked up silver02ta with the kit, yes its a true HID kit for use with the stock housing, TRUE plug and play(not "plug and play" like other companies kits who give you everything except they dont mention the fact that you have to "rig" up the two positive/negative cables, and thats one thing i dont like, thats why i decided to do something about it ), plugs into your stock weather-proof plug harness , and most importantly it bolts right in in i'd say 10 mins both sides, only thing that takes alittle time is deciding where to mount the HID ballast boxes (it also comes with all mounting hardware btw) Anythin else im missing just PM me. Hope to hear from you soon
Congrats! That reply has earned you restricted status, for soliciting on through this site without being a sponsor.

-no more PM access
-no more email access
-no more signature

Thanks for playing!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
This will fit our housings for our foglights on firebirds and T/A's?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned

yea you mighthave to modify a few things as I just got back home from college and haven't had time to put them in, but they are the same size as factory. I believe that dude from Sweeden with the E85 converted T/A has them, but he doesn't like to share info, so when I get it done I'll post up and be nice!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:35 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the kit from ledgauges. Had it in for a few months now. I went with the 6000k bulbs. Very bright white with a bluish tint. They are bright as ****, you can honestly drive around town with them without headlights.

They burn colder than the stock halogen bulbs for sure. But the stock housings are crappola. After 4 years of driving, 90% of the time they were on. My housings still look fine, but there's only 20k on the car. So far so good, and IMO, the housings don't feel as though they get as hot as they used to.

Decent kit IMO, just needs to be "plug and play" into the vehicles fog light harness. I soldered mine in. But will eventually buy Delphi plugs, and solder those onto the kit.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I run the kit from ledgauges. Had it in for a few months now. I went with the 6000k bulbs. Very bright white with a bluish tint. They are bright as ****, you can honestly drive around town with them without headlights.

They burn colder than the stock halogen bulbs for sure. But the stock housings are crappola. After 4 years of driving, 90% of the time they were on. My housings still look fine, but there's only 20k on the car. So far so good, and IMO, the housings don't feel as though they get as hot as they used to.

Decent kit IMO, just needs to be "plug and play" into the vehicles fog light harness. I soldered mine in. But will eventually buy Delphi plugs, and solder those onto the kit.
If you can find the plugs for them let me know. Ever since I sold you that kit I have been looking for them, cannot find ANYTHING though. Do you know of anywhere I can get them?
-Nathan

PS: you need to post some pics!! I need some for the site too
Old 12-14-2006, 05:58 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
If you can find the plugs for them let me know. Ever since I sold you that kit I have been looking for them, cannot find ANYTHING though. Do you know of anywhere I can get them?
-Nathan

PS: you need to post some pics!! I need some for the site too
Oh I'll post pics... When I finish up my non popups with C6 projectors and HIDs all the way around.

Winters here, so I've got the car tucked away in storage.

As for the connectors, they're hard to find. I'm a BMW tech, and have hassled all of our suppliers to get me some of these, but no dice. My buddy runs a Metric hardware store (rediculously huge) and couldn't set me up.

The only way he'll be able to get the Delphi connectors, is to buy around 100 of them. But now that you've chimed in here, let me know if you're interested.

Rob
Old 12-14-2006, 06:12 PM

Im down, Ill take a lot. Just shoot me a PM with the details and we'll go from there!
-Nathan
Old 12-14-2006, 06:28 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
Im down, Ill take a lot. Just shoot me a PM with the details and we'll go from there!
-Nathan
Well I only need 2. So you're definately going to have to be down for a lot.

Now that I think of it, you only have to sell 50 kits to make use of them. That's not really bad at all. I'll give my buddy Tony a ring right now, and see what the deal is. I'll PM you if we've got a shot at making the deal.

Rob
Old 12-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I used the bases of my broken fog light bulbs to make my aftermarket fog light kit "plug-and-play".

www.fadingarrow.com/foglights.htm

I dont know if the stock fog light wiring can handle the power requirements of HIDs though. Its not just the steady-state power consumption to worry about, but also the start-up power spike. You might have to rig it up via a relay.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:33 PM

I know most of the newer GM's come with them relayed already. Not sure about the FBodies though. I've personally done 5 kits and have had nor seen any problems with them.

Now if you want to talk about non-GM cars, I can go on all day. lol

But Im pretty sure most of the newer GMs do have a stock relay, and I have yet to see any problems with the lighting on any GM's.
-Nathan

Quick Reply: who is running HIDs in factory T/A fog housings?