Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Kenne Bell, any reports of it causing false knock retard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kenne Bell, any reports of it causing false knock retard?

Just curious if anybody has heard of any issues with the twin screw blowers causing any false knock retard when installed on the ls motors? I know the maggies have been used a good bit and I've never heard otherwise. One of my friends who has a Ford Lightning told me that the factory knock sensor used on their trucks is physically there, but is disabled in the ECM, because the harmonics of the blower caused false knock retard. He said a lot of the real fast Lightning trucks, ones running 130mph + in 1/4 that have taken off the blowers and are now running single turbos, have somehow activated the factory knock sensor. Any of you guys that have the Kenne Bell heard anything about this.....It obviously isn't causing a problem, just wonder why Ford would disable a knock sensor that would possibly keep some idiot from grenading his motor if he got some bad gas, or fuel pump started going bad, etc.....
Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a hard time believing Ford would disable k-sensors on a supercharged engine. The factory blowers are Eatons, so they shouldn't be messing with the k-sensors. Are you sure he didn't mean that people are disabling their own k-sensors with the KB blower installed?
Old 12-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Default knock sensor

i wouldn't think a manufacturer would ever disable anything like that on a forced induction engine, but that is what he tells me. I know the knock sensor on the turbo buicks saved many an engine................
Old 12-01-2006, 04:53 PM
FormerVendor

We had to disable the knock sensors on my car. It was pulling a TON of timing no matter what we did.
BUT...... I am NOT sure as to wether or not it was the S/C. I have been having a top end "Lifter Knock" and I haven't had the time to chase it down.
Next month I will be correcting the problem and hopefully turning the Knock Sensors back on..

If I'm not mistaken, all of the S/C Cobra's and such have had their sensors turned offf from the manufacturer with the eatons. But that it TOTAL heresay on my part..
Old 12-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Teching In

It is true that they are there but turned off in the tune from the factory due to harmonics from the blower causing false knock. Also from what I have read on the lightning boards the turbo guys are NOT turning it back on once removing the blower. They said it's hard enough dialing the timing in that they don't need another variable tossed in. SCT has also said it's not worth it.

GP
01 Lightning
Old 12-02-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No issues here. WOT is always clean.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

I'll tell you sometime next year....

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell, any reports of it causing false knock retard?