Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable Starter/Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removable Starter/Battery?

Has anyone ever made their starter or battery removable?

I've been thinking about getting a lightweight battery and relocating to the trunk, but that is a lot of work for not a lot of gain. I got to thinking, why not just remove the battery after ignition when at the track? The alternator can handle the load on its own. Then I got to thinking about other stuff that I don't need after ignition like the starter. I've seen racecars with external starters.

My car is a daily driver, so I don't want to remove this stuff permanently, but maybe it could be modified, so removing it is easier. The starter is probably a pipe dream, but the battery I could probably do.

Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a little extreme don't you think?

There's a whole ****-n-caboodle list of stuff you could remove besides the back seats and the wiper fluid. Check out the drag racing section, there's a whole list including the weights of everything.

You could do the starter with some disconnects, but I'm not sure that the car would keep running when you disconnected the ground. My ole' S-10 wouldn't run but for 25 feet or so when the battery terminal would back out.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Yea i believe that the vehicle must still be grounded, I could be wrong though. Go through some of the other weight loss things before you decide to remove your starter before you run. Soo much work for minimal gains.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Until you pull up to the line, and accidentally kill your car (although a little harder with an auto like yours). I'm sure the track officials would enjoy pushing you back out of the way so you can go retrieve your starter and battery from the parking lot
Old 12-04-2006, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Until you pull up to the line, and accidentally kill your car (although a little harder with an auto like yours). I'm sure the track officials would enjoy pushing you back out of the way so you can go retrieve your starter and battery from the parking lot
That would be funny... at least if it happened to someone else. I know; I probably will never remove the starter, that was mainly just out of curiousity if anyone has done it. The battery I would like to try though. It would be easier than putting it in the trunk and lighter too.