LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Radiator Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Radiator Cracked

Last night my radiator cracked and it wont hold any coolant. Is there somekind of temporary fix. All the places I called said they cant get one until monday. Does anyone know where I can get one by tomarrow. Its my only car and I have to get to work somehow. Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man mine cracked and i tried using JB weld. did NOT work!!! i had to replace it. o'reilly's got me one the next morning, and for about the same price as the local radiator shop wanted to just replace the end cap w/me doing the labor.

my suggestion....bum a ride and replace w/new radiator.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

you cant really JB weld it due to the fact that the resivior is plastic! grr!! but anway it probably cracked about 3 or 4 inches from the cap like most due and its a very small crack and when it gets warm and pisses it out the crack... anyway, look around call some friends i picked up another one for $40 from a friend when mine cracked, i did the radiator swap one night in the student union parking lot here at OSU since i lived on campus, it didnt take that long and wasnt hard. a brand new one at least for me was gonna cost around $120, forget that, look around you can find one
Old 12-01-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine did the same this week, they sell 'em on e-bay for $42 (ish) + shipping (which costs over $50).

Sara Lou
Old 12-01-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I tried JB Weld on my wife's minivan radiator. Didn't hold either. The plastic endcap had cracked.

I ended up ordering one from RockAuto.com - it was about half the price for the exact same brand/model that AutoZone sold.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im having some trouble getting my old radiator out I got everything disconected and it doesnt want to pull out. Any special tricks to swap it out.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem, its takes a lot of manouvering.
Unhook the fans from the radiator (2 slot in clips either side) and move out of the way, then the radiator is held to the A/C condensor the same way (2 slots either side). To get the radiator out of the slots you have to kinda lift both the condensor and radiator together, then push the radiator down to slide it free from the condensor at the same time, there is also a clip on the passenger side of the radiator at the bottom the holds the lower A/C pipe, so you have to slide it sideways off that at the same time too.
Took me about 2 hours pulling and tugging before I got it out!!.

Sara Lou
Old 12-02-2006, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

had my entire swap done in 3 hours. just make sure you disconnect everything and move everything outta the way. once you pull the fans...just unplug em and slide them out the bottom. and like saralou said....just slide that a/c condensor off and it should just yank out.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got it done earlier today. PITA to pull out had to bust a few clips on the passenger side cuase it wouldnt budge. The car runs nice and cool, but i have a funky smell coming from somewhere. i cant really tell what it is or where its coming from but its not a normal smell. You can smell it more when the windows are down but i checked everything under the hood and underneath the car and found nothing. Is it normal for a new radiator to smell.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Probably the spilt/splashed coolant burning off.

Sara Lou
Old 12-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Teching In

hah mine just cracked too winter+plastic=hell