Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom y-pipe...what type of flanges to use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Custom y-pipe...what type of flanges to use?

Hey everyone. Got an 87 TA, with an LS1 swap. Im using Hawks long tubes, and his y-pipe, and a magnaflow cat back. This set up stinks as it is now... Its all slip on, so to get the y-pipe off, I have to take the catback off from the rear forward.

Anyway...Im redoing it all. The headers have 2.5" collectors, and the y-pipe is 2.5"... Ide like to go 3" with the y-pipe...so its 3" all the way back. So, I want to weld some sort of flanges on the collectors...and on the joining y-pipe. Whats the best type of flange to put on there for ease of install, best seal, etc. I hear ball flanges are good.

So...I need flanges on the collectors to go to 3" pipe. Then I need to put a flange at the intermediate pipe side of the y-pipe. So Ide need to know what a good flange for there is.

There are a few pieces to the magnaflow kit as well..and Ide REALLY like to flange all that. Maybe with some triangle flanges...but that might be going overboard. I might just have to redo that with regular exhaust clamps. The band clamps arent holding it tight over bumps and all.

Just in case Im being super confusing, which I have a feeling I am...here is a primitive sketch I did in a few seconds. The circles are the flange locations obviously.

Also..any sources for getting these flanges? I would like them in stainless because thats what everything under there is now.
Thanks for any help you can give me!!..

Justin
Old 12-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a standard 3-bolt flange. My exhaust has slip fit connections, and it seems like the band clamps have never sealed well enough for my liking. The only thing you'll give up is a little clearance under the body, but to me, it would be worth it.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a standard 3-bolt flange. My exhaust has slip fit connections, and it seems like the band clamps have never sealed well enough for my liking. The only thing you'll give up is a little clearance under the body, but to me, it would be worth it.
I agree also...3-bolt flanges like the old days...I hate this slip-fit-****.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:24 PM
That's what she said...

V-Bands if you can afford it.

I have 4 3-bolt flanges and 4 slip-fits in my exhaust system.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Actually...yeah. I take back my previous statement. I would definitely use V-band clamps. Then the 3 bolt flanges.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do the v-band type use a gasket? So those hold good and seal good??? I like the idea of the v-band...as far as how they look and all...I just dont know much about the workings.

The only thing with the 3-bolt flange type is gaskets. But I have one on my jeep exhaust and I used one of those "seal for good" aluminum gaskets, and it seems to hold good. I just dont rev the jeep up to 7000...haha. As for the little bit of ground clearance...trust me, ANYTHING is better than the way the y-pipe hangs down now. haha.

Any sources for picking up v-band type flanges? Or any of the others? Preferably in stainless...

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Justin
Old 12-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

V-band clamps are typically what I see on the hot side of turbo setups. They have to seal if being used in a forced induction application...otherwise, you will lose boost. From what I can tell, they do not use a gasket.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

the 3 bolt flanges are dog ****, the best flanges are the Ball flanges, no gasket to burn out and start leaking like the 3 bolt flanges do. Ball Flanges all the way!!! I love mine..
Old 12-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Flawless02SS
the 3 bolt flanges are dog ****, the best flanges are the Ball flanges, no gasket to burn out and start leaking like the 3 bolt flanges do. Ball Flanges all the way!!! I love mine..
I actually have some two bolt ball flanges laying around here somewhere (stainless to boot) that I never used. They looked like they would have done the job though...back when I was making my decision on what to do, someone had had problems with theirs leaking. Could have been installation error, could have been a sensitive ear. Who knows...
Old 12-02-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah who knows, lol.. but like I said I've had by ball flanges on for 2 years now and I love them, no leaks yet! You want to sale your stainless ones?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'd have to find them first to verify I still have them

They certainly aren't doing me any good wherever they are. Know anyone that would be interested? You can PM me to keep it out of this thread if so desired...they are some nice quality pieces though.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

K i'll pm ya, i may buy them
Old 12-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

They are sitting right next to me - two, stainless, 3" two-bolt ball flange joints.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:47 PM
That's what she said...

3-bolters work great if you do these things.

Make sure the flanges are aligned correctly.
Make sure no pipe is sticking out past the gasket surface.
You turn them the RIGHT WAY for install (they are directional).
You use the biggest damn bolts that will fit (usually 3/8").
You use nice gaskets (I use dead soft aluminum).

V-bands don't use a gasket. As you tighten that single bolt on the band, it squeezes the flanges into that V, forcing them together.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great! Thanks for the responses guys. I like the ball flange idea as well. I dont think Ill have room though. Those typically have the two bolts oriented horizontally correct?? My clearances are kinda tight on the sides, which is why I decided on the band clamps... Here...here is a pic of my collector area.

Im kind of leaning towards the V type clams. They seem like they would save some space, and instally easily. Here is a pic of the back of the y-pipe where i need the 3rd flange.

You can see the right side of the y-pipe hangs pretty low. Its been bashed pretty good already, and Im sure it will only get worse. So maybe I could use a V type flange there too... I just want to make sure the exhaust is sturdy as well. I have no hangers between the headers and the over the axle pipe. Its so rigid that I dont even think I need them, but I wanted to put one on the I-pipe somewhere near the y-pipe.

Anyway... thanks for the help, and anymore input is definetly welcomed! I just gotta source out some V-bands/flanges in stainless and get started!!

Justin
Old 12-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

You are right on the lateral clearance of the ball/socket flange:

I don't think they would be for you...

If I were you, I'd call up Speed Inc. in Cheecago...they do so much custom fabriacation of custom turbo systems that I'm sure they could easily source you some stainless v-band clamps.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V-band.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm going to get a custom y made for the xs headers and i planned on just using some 3 bolt flanges that the exhaust shop had to connect the collectors to the y......is this a bad idea.

To the original poster i'm not jacking your thread. Im just in the same situation as you.
Sorry.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Ttt....
Old 12-06-2006, 12:02 AM
9 Second Club

I just used the 3 bolt flanges with some high temp silicone. They were on the thin side so I doubled and welded them together. My headers had the 3-bolt to begin with and are threaded so it was an easy decision. No leaks here .

If I was joining two sets of flanges where one side wasn't threaded, I'd bolt them together and weld the nut to the back of the flange. This way there will only be clamping load on the joint without the worry of shear load breaking the silicone seal.

These flanges are steel but if you google "stainless exhaust flanges" some sites will pop up.

Last edited by SSmokin 01; 12-06-2006 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Custom y-pipe...what type of flanges to use?