LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil filter leak pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil filter leak pt 2

well after 3 weeks and 3 filters, its still leaking. the mating surface is clean and smooth, i wet the new filter seal with new oil, and i put it on my hand, and use a filter cup ratchet piece, and tighten it 1/2 turn - 3/4 turn.

i look today and it looks like the housing that the oil lines go onto is wet. its the part that the filter screws onto between the block and filter. so is there a gasket i need to replace?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Launching!

does it have an oil cooler on it that could be leaking?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

i thought an oil cooler would be up front.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

oil filter adapter are common leaks on LTX. the gasket and oring kit is like $4.00 from the dealer.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

is there a diagram on how to get it off on shbox or install university?

Originally Posted by buffman
oil filter adapter are common leaks on LTX. the gasket and oring kit is like $4.00 from the dealer.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

If it's leaking around the filter, check right above it. If you feel 2 holes, that's your problem. Do you have a relocation kit? It shouldn't leak really, the Oil Filter has that little ring gasket.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

i dont know what it has. the filter doesnt screw directly onto the block.. the filter is in the stock location, but has that additional piece that the oil lines go into.

i dont know about the 2 holes idea, what is it?

Originally Posted by the_merv
If it's leaking around the filter, check right above it. If you feel 2 holes, that's your problem. Do you have a relocation kit? It shouldn't leak really, the Oil Filter has that little ring gasket.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just reused a gasket off my old oil filter on the oil cooler. Sealed right up no probs.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

OK, you have the factory oil cooler. The cooler adapter is held with two bolts into the block oil filter pad. You need to check that and any gaskets that may be between the adapter and the block. Also, has the adapter itself been damaged?

Can you post pics?

This "oil cooler" actually runs coolant (antifreeze) from the radiator (not oil) through the adapter which in turn cools the oil as it flows into and out of the filter.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

ok. so if it holds coolant, why is there oil weeping from it and making it wet? from the block to cooler gasket and cooling lines?

the adapter is cool, nothing wrong with it, not broken.

i cant get pictures right now, but i can tomorrow. the filter is dripping every 5-10 min. its very light some days, and some days its a heavy leak. more likely when there hasnt been pressure in the oil system.

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
OK, you have the factory oil cooler. The cooler adapter is held with two bolts into the block oil filter pad. You need to check that and any gaskets that may be between the adapter and the block. Also, has the adapter itself been damaged?

Can you post pics?

This "oil cooler" actually runs coolant (antifreeze) from the radiator (not oil) through the adapter which in turn cools the oil as it flows into and out of the filter.

Last edited by Revelation Z28; 12-01-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
ok. so if it holds coolant, why is there oil weeping from it and making it wet? from the block to cooler gasket and cooling lines?

the adapter is cool, nothing wrong with it, not broken.

i cant get pictures right now, but i can tomorrow. the filter is dripping every 5-10 min. its very light some days, and some days its a heavy leak. more likely when there hasnt been pressure in the oil system.
Not sure if this has anything to do with it -- but I had a problem last night when I was doing my oil change.

Do you use anything besides your hands to put your filters on? Are your filters somewhat of a pain in the *** to take off?

If yes, then this could possibly be your problem. Last night when I was taking my filter off I noticed it was way too easy coming off way too soon. As I continued to unscrew the entire actual cooler came off where it was threaded to the block. There is a tube that goes through the cooler itself and it has female threads on it where it threads to the male part on the block itself.

Turns out my cooler had been loose for sometime, and this past filter that was on too tight, when I took it off, I ended up actually unthreading the entire assembly off the block.

Its no big deal. Drain the car and take the filter off so you are looking at the locations where it mounts to the cooler. Now after your filter is off, take a 21 or 22 socket over the nut that is at the base of the oil cooler (where the filter mates with the cooler). Make sure the nut is pretty snug. If it isn't, then if you're feeling adventurous, take it off and locktite the threads and put it back on. It takes a little bit of finicking to get it back on, but it will. If you've got a friend, have the friend sit right under the front bumper and pull on the oil lines to help you line it up. Screw it back on and you should be set.

I'm not saying this is your issue, but its possible (you commenting using the oil filter wrench to put it back on) that you've overtighted your filters back on one too many times and you actually loosened that too much. It definately won't hurt to check, and is a cheap and easy fix.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

i used my hands until i couldnt tighten it any more before i had the wrench, and it still leaked. but it wasnt until recently it did this. im taking the whole cooler off this weekend, so whatever is making it leak will be gone.

i do have a problem unscrewing the filters, even at hand tight.

i wont have to bleed the cooling system for this right?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

i used my hands until i couldnt tighten it any more before i had the wrench, and it still leaked. but it wasnt until recently it did this. im taking the whole cooler off this weekend, so whatever is making it leak will be gone.

You shouldn't have to, with my little escapade last night it didn't.

This was just my brainstorm because you commented you were cranking the filters on there because you thought the problem was in the filter gasket. It definately doesn't hurt to look. Good luck
Old 12-01-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

yea, even by hand i cranked them on.

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
You shouldn't have to, with my little escapade last night it didn't.

This was just my brainstorm because you commented you were cranking the filters on there because you thought the problem was in the filter gasket. It definately doesn't hurt to look. Good luck
Old 12-02-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

GM part #88893990. Should be pretty easy to change if they use the same gasket set the other filter adapters use. Drop both hex bolts, Lower adapter. Should be an O-ring and Gasket
Old 12-02-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's too tight. All you have to do is to spin the filter until the gasket touches the base and the turn it about 3/4s of a turn. It still should turn pretty easily by hand.

Mike
Old 12-02-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i used my hands until i couldnt tighten it any more before i had the wrench, and it still leaked.

That's too tight. All you have to do is to spin the filter until the gasket touches the base and the turn it about 3/4s of a turn. It still should turn pretty easily by hand.

Mike
Old 12-02-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

i saw on a diagram that its held on by a 21 or 22mm center nut.

i got the bit o ring gasket and little ones for the lines ordered through the dealer, it was $34 for them

Originally Posted by buffman
GM part #88893990. Should be pretty easy to change if they use the same gasket set the other filter adapters use. Drop both hex bolts, Lower adapter. Should be an O-ring and Gasket

Last edited by Revelation Z28; 12-02-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

ok, i went under there, took the filter off, and to my amazement, the nut to hold the oil cooler was loose, and i tightened it about 1-1 1/2 turns until it was nice and tight. put the filter back on hand tight, no leaks as of yet, let it sit and idle/rev high and shut it off to let the pressure drop..

i was taking the cooling lines off to chenge the o rings and main cooler o ring, and realized it would've drained the whole radiator so i tightened that bolt back up. thoes o rings arent leaking anyways.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

ok, i went under there, took the filter off, and to my amazement, the nut to hold the oil cooler was loose, and i tightened it about 1-1 1/2 turns until it was nice and tight. put the filter back on hand tight, no leaks as of yet, let it sit and idle/rev high and shut it off to let the pressure drop..

i was taking the cooling lines off to chenge the o rings and main cooler o ring, and realized it would've drained the whole radiator so i tightened that bolt back up. thoes o rings arent leaking anyways.

Glad that worked for you. If you consistantly overtighten your filters it will happen again. If you want to help prevent it -- just put some loctite on the threads (of the oil cooler threading to the block, NOT the oil filter) and you'll be in great shape.

Quick Reply: oil filter leak pt 2