Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head swap concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head swap concerns and questions

Well I am in the middle of my head swap. I have the new heads i have all the parts except my new knock sensors which are in the mail. But i have some questions that i couldn't find answers to.
- What do i need to do, if anything, to install new lifters? I.E. soak them in oil, throw on a BUNCH of assembly lube and throw em in?
- I have the fuel injectors out of the intake manifold and the fuel rail. the "O" rings seems to be in good shape... do i need to apply anything to them to get them back in or just shove em in there and call it good?
- Should i do anything about the carbon deposits on the pistons or just get some FP60 additive?
- What should i use to clean the lifter plastic keepers, barrymans B12?
- I have the water temperature sensor from my old heads and need to put in my new set... Do i just use regular old home depot pipe dope to seal it or do i have to get some spacial high temperature stuff?
- I have a gasket set from Fel-pro for the heads... but they are both EXACTLY the same.... so one side goes on just fine and all the holes match up and what no but the other side to get front facing the front it's kinda like... well upside down i guess you could say.... well better yet if you have both gaskets on the engine and you look at them the flat surface looks different. When i reference the original gaskets the side that faces "up"(away form the engine toward the heads) looks exactly the same where all the metal is showing through the gasket.... If i have to get pictures I can but hopefully someone knows what the hell i am talking about.
Also i kinda forgot where a couple bolts go on the top of the intake manifold.. the ones that hold down a metal braket... anyone got any pics that i can use for reference?

What am I looing at if i dropped a bolt down the lifter hole in the block while there was no lifter inside and it fell into the CAM area?\

Well once i figure out all that i just pray that there are no glitches switching over to the 241 casting heads on my 99 T/A

Any help is as always appreciated

Thanks
Steve
Old 12-02-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Quite a bit of questions here, I'll do my best to answer as many as I can:

-I'd soak the lifters in some oil and drop them in.
-Put the O-rings on the ends of the injectors and shove them in the intake manifold.
-I used a flat razor and carefully cleaned the top of the pistons with it. You can also seafoam your car after you've assembled it.
-To clean the lifter trays, I used some brake cleaner and cleaned them off before bolting them back in.
-I used regular teflon tape on the temperature sensor and all is well after a few thousand miles.
-Pictures of the head gaskets would help, but the main thing is to have the side that says "up", facing up, and make sure none of the water jackets are blocked off.
-For that bolt you lost, pray it is resting on the cam somewhere and it didn't make it's way all the way down into your oil pan. If it made it all the way down, time to drop the pan and fish it out. If it's resting on the cam, very carefully use a pen magnet to fish it out.

Good luck getting it all sorted out and welcome to the board.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 for what he said. Go slow and you will be fine. Also use ls1howto.com in case you did not know that there was directions. Good Luck
Old 12-02-2006, 03:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Phlash_riot
Well I am in the middle of my head swap. I have the new heads i have all the parts except my new knock sensors which are in the mail. But i have some questions that i couldn't find answers to.
- What do i need to do, if anything, to install new lifters? I.E. soak them in oil, throw on a BUNCH of assembly lube and throw em in?
First clean them with a mineral spirit to get the protective film off of them then soak them for an hour or two in a lightweight oil.
-
I have the fuel injectors out of the intake manifold and the fuel rail. the "O" rings seems to be in good shape... do i need to apply anything to them to get them back in or just shove em in there and call it good?
This is a homemade trick but i use a very light dabble of KY jelly and shove them in. KY is water soluble and will dry quicly after install.
-
Should i do anything about the carbon deposits on the pistons or just get some FP60 additive?
Under no circumstances you are to use any metal blade on the pistons, brake cleaner, or gas with a bit of elbow grease works well. Do the TDC method and clean both at a time. Finaly don't forget to thinly coat the ring areas with lightweight oil before buttonning up.

- What should i use to clean the lifter plastic keepers, barrymans B12?
do not use any abbrasive products on that plastic, IMO put new ones in, for the price you'll thank yourself later.
-
I have the water temperature sensor from my old heads and need to put in my new set... Do i just use regular old home depot pipe dope to seal it or do i have to get some spacial high temperature stuff?
Automotive teflon paste or tape

- I have a gasket set from Fel-pro for the heads... but they are both EXACTLY the same.... so one side goes on just fine and all the holes match up and what no but the other side to get front facing the front it's kinda like... well upside down i guess you could say.... well better yet if you have both gaskets on the engine and you look at them the flat surface looks different. When i reference the original gaskets the side that faces "up"(away form the engine toward the heads) looks exactly the same where all the metal is showing through the gasket.... If i have to get pictures I can but hopefully someone knows what the hell i am talking about.
Shouldn't matter as long as the bolt holes and water passenges are clear.
Also i kinda forgot where a couple bolts go on the top of the intake manifold.. the ones that hold down a metal braket... anyone got any pics that i can use for reference?
can you be more specific
What am I looing at if i dropped a bolt down the lifter hole in the block while there was no lifter inside and it fell into the CAM area?\
then you're Fukked
Well once i figure out all that i just pray that there are no glitches switching over to the 241 casting heads on my 99 T/A

Any help is as always appreciated

Thanks
Steve
good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Launching!

Yup the other 2 pretty much summed it up. But i would use KY jelly on the injector o-rings. I have always done this, i read it a long time ago on stangnet or something i forget where. But use of oil on the o-rings will cause them to dry out and crack. KY jelly like said is water soluble and drys quickly.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, im an astroglide kind of guy myself.

Those guys covered it! I wouldnt use any assuembly lube. Also, use a plastic sponge and some acetone on the piston tops at TDC. I clean just about everything this way.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Sorry, im an astroglide kind of guy myself.

Those guys covered it! I wouldnt use any assuembly lube. Also, use a plastic sponge and some acetone on the piston tops at TDC. I clean just about everything this way.
Hi guits, acetone is corrosive to aluminum
Old 12-02-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Hi guits, acetone is corrosive to aluminum
Ill bet a lot of solvents are technically corrosive against aluminum, if stored or puddled for long periods. The acetone on a rag or plastic sponge evaporates so quickly it dosn't have time to corrode. Ive used it many, many times with no ill effects. Acetone is even a small component in gasoline, no?

However, its probably worth a disclaimer. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Teching In

THanks all for the info!!!!!. THink i got what I need now. I found the screw i dropped and got a magnet on a stick to get it. I'll let you all know what happens after I get it all back together
Old 12-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Everything else went alright as soon as my new knock sensors come in then i can put the rest of it on and see how it goes

Last edited by Phlash_riot; 12-04-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Phlash_riot
THanks all for the info!!!!!. THink i got what I need now. I found the screw i dropped and got a magnet on a stick to get it. I'll let you all know what happens after I get it all back together
This would be a VERY good thing... Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Well it just keeps getting better and better....

I was putting the cyl. heads coolant pipe pn and had my trusty tourque wrench set to 15ft lbs and what do you know one of the bolts broke off in the head. its sticking out about 3/16 of an inch not enough to get some pliers on it and back it out... So i am at a loss at what todo with this now

theres always somethiung isn't there... ... ... ...
Old 12-05-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u get new head bolts?
Old 12-05-2006, 06:32 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, im an astroglide kind of guy myself. .
Hahaha

Acetone is even a small component in gasoline, no?
Maybe you were thinking ethanol.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Maybe you were thinking ethanol.
No, im aware of the ethanol content in gasolines. A quick google search for a gasoline MSDS shows gas contains benzene, toluene, and xylene, but no acetone. Still could have sworn i saw it listed somewhere.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
did u get new head bolts?
Yes I have new head bolts. Its not the head bolt that broke it was the 10MM bolt that hold the coolant pipe, under the intake manifold, onto the cyl heads.