Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions needed on which bullet mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default opinions needed on which bullet mufflers

alright guys i know you are tired of seeing me post about True Duals and which mufflers etc.(jmm98ls1 lol) Looks like im going to go over the axle and keep the cats simply b/c the guy at the shop will not do it unless i keep the cats which is fine with me. Now which bullet muffler do you guys recommend. I want something thats going to sound really really nice of course but at the same time be ideal inside the car. I know takin them out the back will pretty much take care of that aspect. I know im kinda leaning towards the Magnaflow bullets (part # 10416) but welcome to all possibilities. Ive been to LS1sounds countless times and the search button has been workin overtime on my computer haha! anyways sound clips would be nice if available. THANKS GUYS!!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a dynomax bullet. it cuts down on alot of drone and rasp. on the inside the sound doesnt really bother you.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FL Junkie
i have a dynomax bullet. it cuts down on alot of drone and rasp. on the inside the sound doesnt really bother you.
is this on a true dual system?
Old 12-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of your choice, you must realize that a bullet muffler is still a bullet muffler...they are going to be loud at some point. Mine just happens to be really tame in the 1600-2000 region (cruising), making it work for interstate driving. I will lose some of that, though, when my 4.11s go in. From 2000 RPMs on up, it gets pretty noisy...keep in mind that you also have a cam, and that is going to increase the volume as well. You definitely have to make some concessions in this ball game...you don't get something for nothing.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:09 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My top picks would be, Powerstick or Powerpacks, Borla XR1 #40085, or the Magnaflows.

The Powerstick/PowerPacks will give you that classic muscle car sound. They will be loud. The Powerpack is slightly quieter than the Powersticks.

Borla XR1s are DEEP. They have a very smooth tone to them. They are pretty tame at idle and cruise, but will scream at WOT.

The Magnaflows are similar to the Borlas, except not quite as deep. I personally prefer the Borlas over the Magnaflows.

PM me if you want more info or pricing on any of them. Also check the link in my signature for more info the Powerstick/Powerpack mufflers.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

My #1 choice would be the Powerstick, I love mine. Or maybe the Borla XR1, their a little on the high ($$$) side though.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now how will these Powersticks sound with cats and over the axle? Will it still have that classic sound??
Old 12-03-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Regardless of your choice, you must realize that a bullet muffler is still a bullet muffler...they are going to be loud at some point.
Very true... bullet mufflers aren't on a scale of quiet > loud... it's loud, louder, loudest, deaf. Cats and over the axle will help, but outside the car it's still gonna scream. Good luck.

-J
Old 12-03-2006, 12:23 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
Now how will these Powersticks sound with cats and over the axle? Will it still have that classic sound??
Adding cats will generally quiet the exhaust down and make it quite a bit deeper also. I've haven't heard a setup yet where adding cats made it sound worse. Only downside I can see is if you don't want your exhaust to be any quieter.

If you want cats, but don't want a reduction in the sound level or to change the exhaust tone too much, I would recommend the new Magnaflow Metallic Cats. We're running them on most of our personal cars at the shop, and they have a very minimal effect on the noise and tone of the exhaust. They're also one of the highest flowing cats available at around 570cfm per cat. We sell them for $179/pair shipped.

For most people, I would actually recommend cats with the powersticks because they tend to be on the louder side. They are just as loud if not a bit louder than Dynomax Bullet mufflers. The powerpacks (its a powerstick without the crimps in the outer shell) will be just a bit quieter than Dynomax bullets.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Hey tim...those powersticks sound badass...that powerpack video was sweet...any of the cars atyour shop running these will TDs? When I get my LS1 in the summer, I am going LTs into the TSP true dual setup, and I was thinking sweet thunders, but after hearing the powerpacks and you saying that the powersticks are even louder, I am putting these into serious consideratio...Will the 16 inch powerstick fit in place of the STs? If so, I think it would sound wicked as hell...thanks
Old 12-03-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

or would I be better off with a custom catless true dual setup? sorry if this counts as a thread highack, I am just curious...I want that loud and deep muscle car rumble...Not that high pitched scream like my loudmouth had...
Old 12-05-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

ttt...tom, I pmed you man, just wondering if you were around?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:30 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
Hey tim...those powersticks sound badass...that powerpack video was sweet...any of the cars atyour shop running these will TDs? When I get my LS1 in the summer, I am going LTs into the TSP true dual setup, and I was thinking sweet thunders, but after hearing the powerpacks and you saying that the powersticks are even louder, I am putting these into serious consideratio...Will the 16 inch powerstick fit in place of the STs? If so, I think it would sound wicked as hell...thanks
None of the cars at the shop are running TDs yet. The 16 inch powersticks will fit in place of the of the sweet thunders.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:30 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
or would I be better off with a custom catless true dual setup? sorry if this counts as a thread highack, I am just curious...I want that loud and deep muscle car rumble...Not that high pitched scream like my loudmouth had...
A custom setup will usually fit better and have better ground clearance, but it will also usually cost more.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

ok, thanks man..