LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New 847 setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 847 setup

I just got a 847 cam and brand new opti, well i ran it for 2 days and never once mashed on it yet due to the weather. Well parked the car 2 nights ago and im in illinois so we had bad weather. Anyhow today went to move it and it wouldnt start, just crankeddd every now and then id get a fire out of it but it wouldnt be enough to get it going. I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and it said i think 35 psi but was slowly falling. So I believe theres fuel going through it but i cant really smel it. Wonder whats the chance that a brand new 2 day old running opti just went bad again? Thanks
Old 12-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Have you checked to make sure you are getting any spark at all? At whatrate was your fuel pressure falling? When you started the car up initially,how did it run? Was it really shaky like it was missing.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Teching In

ran fine i guess i mean once i reved it a few times and got it to idle it was fine, i made my own tune for it, the only thing i can think of is that i ran through some pretty big puddles going home from work since it was pourin down like all hell. The fp was droping at a pretty good rate alot faster than when i got last july. Now it just cranks and every few seconds you would hear a random fire or two and that was all it would do
Old 12-03-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

was the opti seated in all the way? on my first opti swap i didnt seat it all the way and i used the screws to pull it in and i was sitting **** eyed Ran fine for a day then it bent all kinds of **** in the opti and i had to get a new 1. thank god for the warranty
Old 12-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DroppedM6Z
was the opti seated in all the way? on my first opti swap i didnt seat it all the way and i used the screws to pull it in and i was sitting **** eyed Ran fine for a day then it bent all kinds of **** in the opti and i had to get a new 1. thank god for the warranty
I've been there before myself. Sounds exactly what happened to me.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Teching In

i assume it was, it was done by a real reputable shop. i guess the only way to tell is to tear it down myself, unless i opt to buy a delteq and run coil packs?. but i mean it ran just fine until i came home from work in a damn ice/rain storm, parked the car then moved it a few times to dodge some falling tree branches and 2 days later went to move it again and it just cranks. Maybe ill get lucky and when things thaw if its wet it can dry out. I mean right now it cranks and fires now and then but not enough to run. Im going to pull some plugs tomorrow maybe thier fouled out from running super rich?

Last edited by Wildwillz28; 12-03-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Teching In

dont know for sure but i also changed from stock 24s to 42lb injectors so i made a homemade tune waiting for madz28 so im sure now that i think of it that i fouled all the plugs pretty bad ill post tomorrow when i pull them.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wildwillz28
dont know for sure but i also changed from stock 24s to 42lb injectors so i made a homemade tune waiting for madz28 so im sure now that i think of it that i fouled all the plugs pretty bad ill post tomorrow when i pull them.
I forgot to ask you if you changed out your injectors, from the sounds of it, I am pretty sure thats going to be your problem.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Couple things: I'd be willing to bet the opti was part of the culprit with the water puddles & secondly 42 lbs injectors are way too much for you're setup right now, I mean 30# inj's would be reasonable but you do not need anything bigger than stock with that cam and basic boltons, even ported heads. I would definitely go back and try the 24's, post up the results bud.

good luck

ps: you're going to love this cam man, ran it in my old setup for about a year prior blowing up the engine...unrelated to the cam.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Teching In

well i pulled 7 of 8 plugs so far and guess what their soaked, black, and wild smelling so im swaping in autolite 104 at .035 gap. i didnt realise just how big 42 were till i got them, its jsut a matter of proper tuning i guess. im stillll waiting for my email tune and i think that can make big adjustments. i did a custom tune myself and scaled them according to this site for the lucas's

http://www.carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM.../injectors.htm
Old 12-04-2006, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

well i pulled 7 of 8 plugs so far and guess what their soaked, black, and wild smelling so im swaping in autolite 104 at .035 gap. i didnt realise just how big 42 were till i got them, its jsut a matter of proper tuning i guess. im stillll waiting for my email tune and i think that can make big adjustments. i did a custom tune myself and scaled them according to this site for the lucas's

http://www.carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM.../injectors.htm
I'd like to know if they work for you, I'm assumming you have big heads/intake/LT headers, etc? If MadZ's tune can make 42#'rs work on a setup with an 847 I'll be impressed, but right now sounds like they are soaking you're plugs, hence running rough, etc.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Teching In

it was the plugs, fouled out, so i went and filled it up with gas because it was quite low and on the way back i noticed that my oil psi was low around the first tick mark so i go down the road and it doesnt really move. i think i tossed a f'in bearing but when i first started it up it was idling fine i guess at 1k at 40psi
Old 12-04-2006, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

it was the plugs, fouled out, so i went and filled it up with gas because it was quite low and on the way back i noticed that my oil psi was low around the first tick mark so i go down the road and it doesnt really move. i think i tossed a f'in bearing but when i first started it up it was idling fine i guess at 1k at 40psi
ouch...well ...how many miles on the engine prior the 847? Reason I ask is the 847 was my first cam, but @86,000 miles there just wasn't enough ummphh left in her and she shredded a main bearing in a mere 2 hrs after install. That was 3-1/2 yrs ago, but learned it's risky business old engine + new BIG cam.

good luck with it man...been there
Old 12-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Teching In

engine was just rebuilt maybe 12-14k ago. now i let it cool down for about 2 hours went and started it and it went back to 40psi at idle, someone on a differnt board mentioned changing the oil cause it may have gas in there and could be thinning it ou.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

engine was just rebuilt maybe 12-14k ago. now i let it cool down for about 2 hours went and started it and it went back to 40psi at idle, someone on a differnt board mentioned changing the oil cause it may have gas in there and could be thinning it ou.
gas in the oil???? How the hell would that take place? Either way sounds like a minor fix afterall, hopefully.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR
gas in the oil???? How the hell would that take place? Either way sounds like a minor fix afterall, hopefully.
If he kept trying to crank it over, the gas will soak through the rings and contaminate the oil. It happened to me before.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by projectcam
If he kept trying to crank it over, the gas will soak through the rings and contaminate the oil. It happened to me before.
learn something new everyday, thanks mang...