LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Intake Oil-Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT1 Intake Oil-Leak

Well, it has become apparent that it is not my valve covers that are leaking. I stumbled across a page that was talking about fixing this notorious leak and I decided to see if this why the block is covered in oil.

After going out to the car and giving it the ol' reach around, I realized that is my problem. I have found a few websites that talk about replacing the gasket and wrapping the flex pipe in heat tape and they all seem to be pretty informative. Does anyone know of any sites that offers some step by step instructions?

Pictures of Inake Removal

Oil Leak Fix

Also, I would like to avoid the shops bills on pulling the intake. My father has experience with the old school Pontiac motors and we have lots of tools, except air. Is this something that we could do in a weekend relatively easy? I would love to do the work myself to save the money and to also learn more about the car.

Is there anything else that should be done to the car while the intake is off? I think I have a lifter starting to collapse, but not exactly sure. I was planning on replacing the valve cover gaskets, too.

Thanks for the advice.

-Bryan
Old 12-03-2006, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Just pull it off and clean everything up really good, and then seal it good. That EGR pipe is one of the main causes, wrapping it up will help keep the heat off of that rear seal.
When you take this off, you don't even have to drain the coolant, makes it real easy, just bolts.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Oh ok. Thanks. Might get into that over the Christmas break. Any one recomend a certain gasket? I am wanting to replace the valve cover gaskets with Fel-Pros (spelling). Do they offer an intake gasket as well?

Thanks.

-Bryan
Old 12-03-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

So I looked on Jegs for the intake gaskets. I started to get a bit confused on all the options available. Heat cross over, and different sized openings. My heads are stock, and are not ported and I figured that was what the numbers were for. After scrolling to the bottom I saw where they offered OEM replacements for 20 bucks. I guess those will work just fine?
Old 12-03-2006, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Go to Auto Zone, look up the Intake Gaskets for this and get the Felpros. That's what I use. Also get some 02 sensor safe RTB Silicone, and use that to seal everything up there.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the help Merv. Hopefully I can get this done over break.

-bryan
Old 12-03-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some better suggestions. USE Permatex Ultra Copper, or their stuff called "THE RIGHT STUFF". Once torqued, let the car sit for 24hrs to insure proper cure, or you'll be doing the job over. Superior Gaskets? Fel-Pro Printo Seals. PN# 1284. BTW dont wrap the EGR tube in heat tape, that can just make matter worse... Blue Loctite on intake bolts insure they stay where they're supposed to be once torqued.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, thanks for the help. Should I think about doing a breather in place of the oil filler? Would this help take some pressure off that gasket for later?

-bryan
Old 12-03-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

As long as you can remember to check your PCV valve, then I wouldnt worry about it. Some cars can be picky, but adding a breather on the valve cover can allow unmetered air into the engine and can cause idling and BLM issues..

also get rid of the fram filter. Get a Purolater or a standard AC DELCO..
Old 12-03-2006, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

I haven't had a problem with that..
Old 12-03-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Its not fram any more, but may I ask why I shouldn't have it?

I just spoke with a buddy online about the breather set up. I don't that I will do that. If I pull the intake, I will look it over and see if there is any oil in it. If so, I will add a seperator. I don't think I have ever changed that PCV valve.

-bryan
Old 12-03-2006, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bmccrary
Its not fram any more, but may I ask why I shouldn't have it?

I just spoke with a buddy online about the breather set up. I don't that I will do that. If I pull the intake, I will look it over and see if there is any oil in it. If so, I will add a seperator. I don't think I have ever changed that PCV valve.

-bryan
Fram filters are not the greatest. There is a write up on them and they acctually are one of the worst for flow and filtering. I run a ac-delco or a wix oil filter. Also with a aftermarket oil pump it can make the filter crack/explode with a cheap filter.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

There's been some discussion on the oil separator and I don't think it's very beneficial from what I remember. I added a breather in place of the vacuum hose running from the back of the valve cover to the TB. I blocked the port on the TB and I haven't had any problems. I think Merv has done it too.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Gotcha. Well the car is basicly stock, so I dont think I have to worry too much about cracking or what not. But thanks for the heads up on that. We have ran Fram filters for a few years now with out a problem. Can you post up a link to that write up for me. Thanks

-bryan
Old 12-03-2006, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dhdenney
There's been some discussion on the oil separator and I don't think it's very beneficial from what I remember. I added a breather in place of the vacuum hose running from the back of the valve cover to the TB. I blocked the port on the TB and I haven't had any problems. I think Merv has done it too.
Yea, that is what I have done. No problems with it at all.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Yes many people dont have problems, but other people do have problems. Just remember it's unmetered air. Most of the time 02s can compensate, sometimes they're picky..

as for the PCV valve never being changed, could be good reason why oil leak developed. Non working PCV = increased crankcase pressure

filter comparisons

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/index.html

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/

Last edited by buffman; 12-03-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

Un-metered air going where? Nothing is going into the Combustion Chamber as long as you block the one spot off on the TB. If anything, it's just air instead of air and oil steam. I have never had a problem with it. I just put the motor back together, and there is a little oil residue in the back of the Intake. I have no EGR, and sealed it pretty good. My oil pump is wicked strong, so that might be the cause, unless something with the pressure sending unit..

Last edited by the_merv; 12-04-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

assuming you block off port on TB, and use breather in valve cover, you're allowing air to enter engine via the breaher.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

True, but that doesn't get into the Exhaust anywhere. As long as you block the TB off, you are good. That goes with any kind of custom work, make sure everything it blocked or sealed if it originally was.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

but it IS still unmetered air. Air WILL enter through the breather and be sucked into the intake track via the PCV valve(at idle) on tight engines that do not have excessive blow by.

An open system like that can throw the BLM's out quite a bit.

An experiement for you to try. Hook a scan tool up to a car that has everything installed properly in the PCV system. Monitor the BLM's. Then remove the oil cap. You will see the BLM's go HIGHER as it compensates for the lean mixture.

Quick Reply: LT1 Intake Oil-Leak