Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Motor??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Motor??

How hard is it to replace the window motor on these cars. I have had this car for 3 years with no problems with the window till now.... I put it down then went to put it back up and nothing! Could it be a window switch? because the passenger still goes up and down. Well hopefully someone has the answer I need lol...
Old 12-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

There are other alternatives,
By default power comes from your battery, thru your Body control Module on the passenger side then over to the driver side switch. Then back to the passenger window to operate it. This long path of power reduces the amperage and voltage the motor gets by quite a bit.

So your passenger motor is underpowered which

1. reduces motor life
2. reduces motor strength
3. makes the breaker blow and the window stop.

This kit will get power to the window directly from the battery. It will improve power to the driver side when both windows are being rolled up and down at the same time due to the switch on the driver side no longer needing to power the passenger side.

From the factory The driver side is powered fine when it is the only one operating but everytime you roll them up or down together they are both getting hit with low voltage. The kit will wake up your passenger motor, but you driver side may be going out if it is acting like the passenger window.

All the cars in the videos on the site have no driver side issues. Getting this kit before you have problems will only help make sure you don't have these issues early.

Window motors WILL fail like any electric motor, but they should not fail so soon. Our window motors should be able to last over 10 years during normal use when they are properly powered.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:13 PM

Your motor sounds shot unfortunatly. I personally cant tell you how hard it is because mine are still original!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Time for a new motor. You can pick one up from Advanced Auto for $55. The install however was a little more involved than i thought. It involves locating and drilling out some rivets that hold the motor in place. You can search around and should find a detailed write up.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Launching!

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

this info will help you. it's not too hard just take your time.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Definitely do it on your own. Mine was done in 1 hour. 30 minutes for each side.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:15 PM

I couldnt stand doing the window motors on f-bodies...