Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is rubbing when driving...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is rubbing when driving...

I have a 2000 Camaro SS. I noticed that lately my car has been rubbing against the road when I go over a dip in the road or hit a bump. It looks like it is the plastic guard under the front of the car that hangs down to about 3-4 inches from the ground, because the guard is getting knicked up. Is this a common problem of SS owners? I was thinking maybe it's a sign that my suspension is bad, but it still drives fine and the shocks and struts seem to keep it from bottoming out. The frame doesn't seem to be touching. Someone please let me know...
Old 12-04-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a common problem, don't take that piece off to fix it that part directs air to the radiator, if removed the car likely will overheat
Old 12-04-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

yeah its a rockguard and an vents the air into the intake, i scrape mine backing out of my driveway all the time, is your car lowered or is it stock springs???
Old 12-04-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I decided to replace mine with the new stainless air dam I Don't have to worry about any bad speed bumps or anything like that, I just have to make sure when pulling into a parking lot where they have all those concrete stops, lets just say I now back into the parking place. They are the same exact width, and it is very noticeable on the front of my car.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Teching In

I have stock springs, which I think may be the problem. It scrapes pretty much all the time, at a severe change in the incline or decline in the pavement or when I hit a bump or dip in the road. I don't think it's hurting anything, but it is scraping up the rockguard. Does this happen alot with the stock springs?? Would it make a difference if I changed out the springs? And if so, what are some good ones?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, I just got LOWERED with Vogtland springs and Koni shocks which dropped me more than my previous setup and I don't have this problem, except for my first drive. It's all in re-learning to drive because things that previously weren't an obstacle now require some tact.
If I leave a driveway that has a bad angle, if I am making a RIGHT, I go all the way to the left side then crank the wheel right and go slow for the exit. If I'm going LEFT, I go all the way to the right and then crank the wheel to the left and exit slowly. In both instances I have the sidewall of the tire as the first point of contact, then both front tires and not my airdam deflector or SSRA. Take speed bumps slowly and at an angle if possible as well OR avoid them if you can.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

It happens with stock springs, and will happen more if you lower it. It does the same thing on mine and I'm at stock height
Old 12-05-2006, 03:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Happens to me and I'm dropped on Sportlines. Just drive up the drive way or parking lots at certain angles, as if you were coming in sideways, to help prevent the scrape.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys... I had a feeling it was a common thing. I don't know about lowering it any more than it is at stock. If the problem is already happening, it will probably just get worse. Thanks for the info. though...