Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow Cats

Old 12-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnaflow Cats

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/u...al/549spun.asp

Looking at this series cats for my 01 SS, will probably be running stock Y and will be running stock manifolds, but changing my borla exhaust to powersticks.

How will these cats do on this setup? Anyone else running these cats? What size should I get seeing as i'm running stock y-pipe and manifolds?

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 12-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look to be standard ceramic cats, but a little smaller in overall size than the standard Magnaflow cats. They should flow nicely.

However it probably is not worth doing the swap if you are going to be running the stock y and manifolds. You're probably not going to see enough gain for it to be worth it. I would wait till you do the rest of the exhaust (headers and duals or headers and high flow y) before you replace the cats in a stock system.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Launching!

I'll hafta replace the cats because of the one's I have now are gutted and throwing codes causing the car to gulp gas.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

I see...in that case yes those cats would work well indeed. They will be smaller and lower in profile than the typical magnaflow cats...which is always good, plus they will flow great. You want the 2.5" ones to connect up to the stock piping.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Launching!

I'm really trying to figure out something with the best sound yet isn't busting expensive. I've changed my mind and am planning on ordering a universal x-pipe from summit racing and then having the exhaust shop fab up the piping so that I can run duals with 2 Powerstick mufflers and then dump it off after those before the axle if possible. The stock manifolds are 2.5" piping into the y-pipe correct? So should I order the 2.5" x-pipe or should I get the 3" x-pipe and also 3" powersticks? How much of a sound difference and flow difference would having the 2.5 have instead of getting the 3"?

In opinion how much would an exhaust shop cost to fab up the piping if I have the x-pipe kit, mufflers, and catalytic converters??

Also, does anyone know about how much the spun catalytic converters run?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:04 PM
MASS seller approved

Those are the metallic spun cats. They have just been out for a couple months now. They are the highest flowing Magnaflow cat available. They flow ~570cfm where as the ceramic cats from Magnaflow flow in the low 400s. I'm running these exact cats in my personal car.

We sell them for $179 for a pair. They are available on our website.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Launching!

What do you guys think an exhaust shop would charge fabrication and installation to do this?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:20 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by ckingcmaro
What do you guys think an exhaust shop would charge fabrication and installation to do this?
When I first got my Camaro, before I was working in a shop, I paid $200 at a local exhaust shop for a full true dual system. I provided the parts, they provided the pipe and labor.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Would it be worth buying this universal x-pipe kit, or should I just have them make one at the shop?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Launching!

This worries me a little bit about doing this, so I want you guys opinion on it.

Want to run the 549 spun catalytic converter series into an x-pipe and then into 2 powerstick mufflers dumped before the axle.

This is what worries me a little though, could I buy this universal x-pipe kit and use these clamps and this setup work and flow well? Also would those clamps hold all this together?

Or would it be better & cheaper to just have an exhaust shop fab up an x-pipe and just supply them with the cats and mufflers?
Old 12-06-2006, 06:02 AM
Launching!

Bump^^^
Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Banned

If I were you I would take the parts to your exhaust shop and just have them do the labor. Just make sure the xpipe you get is a volumetric xpipe, which keeps up velocity, with larger than standard diameter. I've seen some kits that were not volumetric and they definately don't flow as nicely. If you have a picture of the xpipe you can tell if it's volumetric or not. As far as assembly let your exhaust shop handle that, if the hardware is good quality no reason not to use it. It probably will cost more than a few hundred dollars complete.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Would it be cheaper to let the exhaust shop fab up the whole x-pipe or buy a universal kit and give them that?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IF you just have to replace the cat and your car has less than 80k miles the dealer will do it for free. Emission equipment is covered for 8 years or 80k miles by federal law. Just an FYI. I used the magna flows with edelbrocks on a friends SS and they were a really nice piece.

Josh
Old 12-06-2006, 04:50 PM
MASS seller approved

Would it be cheaper to let the exhaust shop fab up the whole x-pipe or buy a universal kit and give them that?
Most universal x-pipe kits will need a few extra bends to complete the setup on a f-body. I can set you up with most of the parts that you will need, or you can just let the exhaust shop handle it. Either way would be fine.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Banned

It would be cheaper to let the exhaust shop handle the xpipe, but it would be better if you could bring them a good one...

Search this Thread