General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power antenna

I noticed today that the power antenna on my 98 TA isn't going down. I can hear the motor working, but the antenna just stays in place. Is there a way I can put it down manually? I tried pushing it, but it didn't move easily and I didn't want to force it. Also, what is the likely problem here? How hard is it to fix, and what would it cost? Also, what would a shop probably charge for labor if I can't do it myself?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Launching!

you can def do it your self..very easy to change a rear mount antenna...... now i dont know if it applies to this antenna but from my experience..you can buy the mast which comes with a new plastic belt...normally a gear inside the antenna chews up the plastic belt of the antenna and it runs but doesnt move...you pull out the old one and then install the new by letting the motr grab it and suck it up..again i dont know if this antenna will do that or if GM sells the mast seperately...give a GM partsdealer a call..else swap out the antenna..normally a retaining screw on top of the antenna a few screws to the mounting bracket and a wire and antenna connector...always good to pick up a shop manual
Old 12-05-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. So, when I go to get the part, do I want a whole new motor? I'm a bit confused on what exactly I need to replace.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your going to need to replace the whole unit.... of course when mine broke i just unplugged it....the radio works either way
Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not against doing that, either. I just need to get the antenna down.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Just push it down when the radio is off. Mine has been working off an on and when it stays up and I wanted to go down i just push it down. Oh just remembered something when i push it down later when i turn the radio on the antenna starts working for while.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

i have had that same problem since i bought my car. i just took the whole thing off (motor and all). i dont listen to the radio anyway
Old 12-07-2006, 10:27 AM
SCRWS6

sometimes the spare tire gets jounced up against the antennae motor or assembly and bends it, My formula continued to have this problem no matter how tight I made the spare, finally just bought a shorty. you can bend it back however, I just got tired of taking it out over and over again.....
Old 12-07-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a way for the antenna to not go up when you're listening to CDS without unplugging the system?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm gonna use BitViper's S2000 setup. I just got a non-power mast today and plan to install it in a few minutes. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Only problem is that i can't get the poer antenna to go down, so i dunno how i'm gonna get it out.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, got the new mast in. Had to do a little drilling, nothing serious. As soon as I get BitViper's kit and install it, i'll take some pics.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09CPTN
Cool, got the new mast in. Had to do a little drilling, nothing serious. As soon as I get BitViper's kit and install it, i'll take some pics.

Funny, I went the other way....I have a Z and wanted a power antenna. First used one I got was busted so i bought a new one. You would think the mount would be the same but it's not. I had to drill to get mine to be secured as well.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What was that line that runs into the bottom of the motor? To me it looked like some sort of coolant/oil line for the motor, but I cut it off and nothing came out, is it some sort of air line?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

What was that line that runs into the bottom of the motor? To me it looked like some sort of coolant/oil line for the motor, but I cut it off and nothing came out, is it some sort of air line?
The power antenna is not waterproof. That line lets water that gets into the antenna go out through the tube and out of the car. Put a power antenna in without that then drive in the rain and you'll get water into your hatch.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

will it damage anything if you force it down?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Probably, but you can take it out while it's up. Unbolt the antenna, then just take it at a steep angle and you can get it out without bending it. Also, anyone know why my non-power antenna mast that I bought from a slavege yard didn't have the black radio wire on it? And, how can I either get the old one off of my old mast and put it onto this new one, or procure a new one made for this mast?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Probably, but you can take it out while it's up. Unbolt the antenna, then just take it at a steep angle and you can get it out without bending it. Also, anyone know why my non-power antenna mast that I bought from a slavege yard didn't have the black radio wire on it? And, how can I either get the old one off of my old mast and put it onto this new one, or procure a new one made for this mast?
There is no plug on the Chevrolet antenna. It plugs into the bottom. Right where the mast goes flat look up...That is where the antenna plugs into.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ oh ****, for real? Hmmmm, i'll take a look tomorrow. If that is indeed the case, i'll have to get some sort of male to male connector from radio shack to bridge the gap, as my T/A radio wire input sits up fairly high in the fender well. Lol, I tried just throwing a big piece of the old antenna back there and plugging the wire in, of course, it didn't work worth a damn. LOL @ me.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

My 99 Z28 had a fixed antenna and my 98 Formula has the same inop power antenna. Is there anyway I can install a fixed antenna to my formula???
Old 12-10-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^yeah, the same way I did. Take out your power antenna assembly, and put a fixed one in. Might require a little drilling if the factory holes don't line up like mine didn't.