Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C delete, but keep heat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C delete, but keep heat?

Just like the title says. Im looking for info on removing as much A/C stuff as possible but keep heat/defrost.

I know what I can remove from the engine bay up to the box on the firewall. After that though there's not much info out there.

Mainly, Id like to remove the box from the firewall, and the a/c components inside that box if at all possible while keeping the heater functions.

Im seriously refraining from removing the dash, but will if I ABSOLUTELY have to in order to remove this stuff without ruining the functionality of the heater.

Any and all input is appreciated!
T.I.A.

-Justin
Old 12-05-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

I removed everything up to the box, but left that there in case I ever wanted to go back. If you remove the box, I think it's Thunder Racing who makes an AC Delete cover that will cover the spot on the firewall.

Bryan
Old 12-05-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt know thunder made the blockoff panel, but I know billingsley makes one and I can make one easy enough.

Will I be able to keep heat without the box?

Can the box be removed without pulling the dash/ trashing the box?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:14 AM
On the tree

If you remove the AC there is no way to still have defrost. The defrost cycle uses the AC compressor to dry the air. It will still blow on the windshield but may not be as effective.

there are two coil systems inside of the enviromental box, one for the heater and one for the ac. I would assume you would have to remove the AC one, but it is made of Alum and only weighs maybe a pound or so if that.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know the 'cold' defrost wont work anymore, but if you try it in your car, on the heat setting defrost blows hot.

Im only wanting to keep defrost for track nights. These cars fog up pretty quickly on humid but cool florida nights. Where hot air would definitely defrost the windsheild. It wouldnt be a problem if we could keep windows down though.

I know the a/c coil doesnt weigh much, Im mainly wanting to free up that engine compartment/firewall space for electronics. My ignition and versafueler would look good on a delete panel.

Back to one of my previous questions, can the firewall box be removed without destroying it or removing the dash?

The way it sounds, If I have to remove the dash to get that box out, I might as well remove ALL of the A/C stuff and get some RainX anit-fog stuff for the windsheild.
I read a writeup someone did that explained the process of removing the dash to get at all that stuff, and from what I remember you have to remove alot of the in-dash a/c components to get to the hole in the firewall for the box. Just cant remember if thats the only way to unscrew it from the firewall.
If the screws are in-dash, then Its all coming out I guess.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fire67
I know the 'cold' defrost wont work anymore, but if you try it in your car, on the heat setting defrost blows hot.

Im only wanting to keep defrost for track nights. These cars fog up pretty quickly on humid but cool florida nights. Where hot air would definitely defrost the windsheild. It wouldnt be a problem if we could keep windows down though.

I know the a/c coil doesnt weigh much, Im mainly wanting to free up that engine compartment/firewall space for electronics. My ignition and versafueler would look good on a delete panel.

Back to one of my previous questions, can the firewall box be removed without destroying it or removing the dash?

The way it sounds, If I have to remove the dash to get that box out, I might as well remove ALL of the A/C stuff and get some RainX anit-fog stuff for the windsheild.
I read a writeup someone did that explained the process of removing the dash to get at all that stuff, and from what I remember you have to remove alot of the in-dash a/c components to get to the hole in the firewall for the box. Just cant remember if thats the only way to unscrew it from the firewall.
If the screws are in-dash, then Its all coming out I guess.
I think someone has removed the box while keeping heat. I chose to remove it all together and i live in texas. My windshield fogs up from time to time.

You can make your own block off plate for 10 bucks by buying sheet metal and cutting it to shape.

You do not have to remove the ENTIRE dash. You have to disconnect the dash and pull it out, and then take out all 4985739485 screws for the hvac. There is also one screw behind the intake manifold that you need to take out in order for the HVAC box to come out. You will end up taking it out in pieces like i did most likely.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
I think someone has removed the box while keeping heat. I chose to remove it all together and i live in texas. My windshield fogs up from time to time.

You can make your own block off plate for 10 bucks by buying sheet metal and cutting it to shape.

You do not have to remove the ENTIRE dash. You have to disconnect the dash and pull it out, and then take out all 4985739485 screws for the hvac. There is also one screw behind the intake manifold that you need to take out in order for the HVAC box to come out. You will end up taking it out in pieces like i did most likely.
So after removing the 4.9 billion screws in the box from under the dash I can piece out the HVAC stuff without completely removing the dash... What about all the ducting? Id imagine that stays unless you are completely pulling the dash.

I guess after work tonight Im gonna go to town with my Paynes (haynes) manual and see what I can manage to remove.

Anyone have any more pointers before I go trying to destroy ****?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fire67
So after removing the 4.9 billion screws in the box from under the dash I can piece out the HVAC stuff without completely removing the dash... What about all the ducting? Id imagine that stays unless you are completely pulling the dash.

I guess after work tonight Im gonna go to town with my Paynes (haynes) manual and see what I can manage to remove.

Anyone have any more pointers before I go trying to destroy ****?

Remove the top dash pad
Remove all screws under dash pad
remove 1 nut on passenger , 1 nut on driver side underneath dash with grounds attatched to it
Drop steering column by removing those nuts and screws
remove a few more misc screws
You will be able to get most, if not all of the ducting out by pulling the dash off and leaning it forward a little. It's a time consuming process, and some of the screws on the hvac are gonna be a bitch.
Don't forget that the giant box is held to the firewall with screws under the dash and in the engine bay, you will have to remove both.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking at my SS (since Im at work) I cannot see any screws on the firewall side of the box. So that tells me there gonna be a PITA too.

So basically the dash is gonna be unbolted/screwed completely, just not removed completely? Sounds better than trying to fanangle that big biatch in and out of there for sure.

Thanks for the heads up, I will be trying my hand and patience at this tomorrow evening if I finish wiring my fuel pumps by then. Hopefully everything goes as smooth as possible. I'll report back when done.

For now, off to pick up my new TH400
Old 12-05-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW a couple of the LT1 ILE cars came without an AC and the box only had the heater parts in it. Im pretty sure it didnt protrude as much into the engine bay.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
FWIW a couple of the LT1 ILE cars came without an AC and the box only had the heater parts in it. Im pretty sure it didnt protrude as much into the engine bay.
Really? Thats good to know. I've never actually seen a 1LE car without A/C in person, but Im sure there's a wealth of info on them in particular on the net somewhere. I'll do some searching and see what I can find out. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Quick Reply: A/C delete, but keep heat?