Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spilled some oil in the radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spilled some oil in the radiator

as I was doing regular maintenance adding antifreezer and changing the oil, I stepped into a tool and drop some oil in the radiator (didn't put the cap back ) it's just a small portion but I'm concerned that it could do some damage or something.

what do you guys think I should do?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's fine. Maybe just take a hose and rinse out the radiator if you're worried about it.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks
Old 12-05-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it running when you spilled it? if not the oil should be floating there and you gould try to remove as much as you can. If you are you using Dexcool it is going to contaminate it and will need to be removed and flushed -
Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used peak 50/50 and it wasn't runnig.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ALPHA Q
I used peak 50/50 and it wasn't runnig.
OK so try to get as much as you can out and call it a day. It won't hurt anything but I would remove it only so that if you do have any problems down the line you don't have oli in the coolant to confuse things. If that doesn't bother you it should be fine.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok a dumb question, how do you flush the coolant?

Because I remove the plastic nut underneat the radiator and nothing came out. the coolant is still there.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because I remove the plastic nut underneat the radiator and nothing came out. the coolant is still there.
Thats strange. I remove my petcock and the coolant starts to empty. You sure you have the cap off to relieve pressure?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Remove the cap, loosen the draincock, if nothing comes out you're clogged and a good thing you're flushing. Reach in with a wooden stick - like a long Qtip, chopstick etc. and free up the clog. Get the prestone flush kit and flush it according to the directions. There is also these from the service manual:

Flushing

Important: Store used engine coolant in the proper manner, such as in a used engine coolant holding tank. Do not pour used engine coolant down a drain. Ethylene glycol antifreeze is a very toxic chemical. Do not dispose of coolant into the sewer system or ground water. This is illegal and ecologically unsound.

You can use various methods and equipment to flush the cooling system. If special equipment is used (such as a back flusher) follow the manufacturer's instructions. However, always remove the thermostat before flushing the system.

Engine Coolant Recycling
Whenever the cooling system needs maintenance or repairs, remove and replace the coolant with new coolant.

From the TSB:

If approved cooling system flush and fill machine is not available, drain the coolant and dispose of properly following the draining procedures in the appropriate Service Manual. Refill the system using clear, drinkable water and run the vehicle until the thermostat opens. Repeat and run the vehicle three (3) times to totally remove the old coolant or until the drained coolant is almost clear. Once the system is completely flushed, refill the cooling system to a 50%-60% concentration with DEX-COOL(R), P/N 12346290 (in Canada, use P/N 10953464), GM specification 6277M, following the refill procedures in the appropriate Service Manual. If a Service Manual is not available, fill half the capacity of the system with 100% DEX-COOL(R), P/N 12346290 (in Canada, use P/N 10953464), GM specification 6277M. Then slowly add clear, drinkable water (preferably distilled) to the system until the level of the coolant mixture has reached the base of the radiator neck. Wait two (2) minutes and reverify the coolant level. If necessary, add clean water to restore the coolant to the appropriate level.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's probably just plugged with gunk.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
It's probably just plugged with gunk.
Which means the radiator is likely plugged up with the same gunk.

Ben T.

Quick Reply: spilled some oil in the radiator