Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny fluid question

I have a Vigalante 3200-3400 stall in my car with the largest tranny cooler we could fit on the car. I dragrace it on Sundays at T & T. When I checked the tranny fluid the other day it smells burnt. But the fluid isn't discolored at all. I'm running the Raybestos Z-Pack clutches and the extra wide 2nd gear band and the tranny has less than 4,000 miles on it since the rebuild. What can cause this? Am I not letting the tranny cool down enough between runs? Will an engine with the hood open cool down before the tranny does? How long do I need to let the tranny cool down between runs? I know I probally need to change the fluid and filter but I don't think that doing that would get all the fluid out. Do I need to get it flushed? I run regular tranny fluid. I do not like synthetic.

Last edited by dedge; 12-06-2006 at 01:58 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-06-2006, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If the fluid is not discolored i wouldnt worry about the smell for that reason .
Do you have anyway of actually seeing your trans temp , And do you have a cooler ?
do the shifts feel quick and firm even at wot

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-06-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure you're smelling "burnt" and not the characteristic ATF smell...?
Old 12-06-2006, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
If the fluid is not discolored i wouldnt worry about the smell for that reason .
Do you have anyway of actually seeing your trans temp , And do you have a cooler ?
do the shifts feel quick and firm even at wot
Yea I got the biggest tranny cooler that I could fit.Its got the transgo shiftkit in it also.When she shifts she shifts fast and hard. But I don't have anykind of tranny temp gauge on the car. I always thought that the extra cooler would keep everything in check. How long should you be able to go between tranny fluid changes?