Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is magnaflow muffler direct replacement for stock???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is magnaflow muffler direct replacement for stock???

ok fellas, here's the deal. tried a search, but couldn't get search to work at all.

i currently have a magnaflow cat-back on my SS. I'm looking to make my car a REASONABLE volume again. I have someone that is willing to trade my magnaflow for their stock SS muffler.

what i need to know is if the magnaflow muffler inlet/outlets are in the same location as stock.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes...
Old 12-06-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

huh? So you wanna replace the magnaflow muffler with the stock on?

I'm not sure it if would work because the inlet hole is 3". Isn't the stock on 2.5" on the inlet hole?

I think the magnaflow muffler may also be a little bigger. I'm not sure though. Correct me.

The magnaflow catback is quiet at idle anyway. Its too quiet for me and I have LTs and ORY. I'm working a deal right now to get someone's SLP LM so I can make a Magnamouth.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't f**k up your catback. Just put a bullet muffler in your I-Pipe. That will reduce the sound by several db.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
huh? So you wanna replace the magnaflow muffler with the stock on?
i know, hard to believe right? what i want is to keep my cut-out when i want to sound nasty at a cruise in or at the track, but keep it somewhat tame when i'm driving to and from work everyday.
Originally Posted by Justin00SS
The magnaflow catback is quiet at idle anyway. Its too quiet for me and I have LTs and ORY.
magnaflow may be quite on stock engine cars, but on my car it is retarded loud. that's what you get with 11.5:1 compression and a big thumping cam. the system also has a lot of miles so the packing is probably worn out as well.
Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Don't f**k up your catback. Just put a bullet muffler in your I-Pipe. That will reduce the sound by several db.
that's not a bad idea, i may look into it. i'm not sure if there will be enough clearance in that area as i have a BMR trak-pak torque arm and 3.5" steel driveshaft.

thanks for the help so far! anyone know for sure about the physical size of the muffler? i'm probably just going to have to get under both cars with a tape and figure it out

Last edited by KGSloan; 12-07-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have cats on your setup? why don't you just add cats and put a bullet in your I-pipe? use the magnaflow metal spun cats. you'll lose like 2-4 rwhp, big deal.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KGSloan
i know, hard to believe right? what i want is to keep my cut-out when i want to sound nasty at a cruise in or at the track, but keep it somewhat tame when i'm driving to and from work everyday.
I am looking to do the same thing without messing with my I or Y pipe.
I just got everything perfect (no leaks).
It would be allot easier to swap out the muffler.
Let me know if you find something that works.
I am thinking of another Mfg would make that design in 3".