Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Headers Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Headers Options

I am installing headers in a couple of weeks and I cannot afford a full exhaust. As for now, I have bought 2 18" extensions and plan on running open headers but from what I've heard open headers are too loud. I don't mind but I don't want to be paying for 3 exhausts through tickets. Is there any cheap method of quieting down my exhaust? Would dynomax bullets right after the collectors work? I've heard that open headers arent that bad when in low rpms...can't I just stay in low rpm's when around a cop?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitterchaos
I am installing headers in a couple of weeks and I cannot afford a full exhaust. As for now, I have bought 2 18" extensions and plan on running open headers but from what I've heard open headers are too loud. I don't mind but I don't want to be paying for 3 exhausts through tickets. Is there any cheap method of quieting down my exhaust? Would dynomax bullets right after the collectors work? I've heard that open headers arent that bad when in low rpms...can't I just stay in low rpm's when around a cop?
open headers are EXTREMELY loud. they vibrate your whole car too. if it didnt sound so badass, you would get annoyed so fast
Old 12-06-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will also be installing Lt's soon and i might have to go open headers for a couple of days. I dont feel like getting stopped by the cops but i think the 18" extentsions will still be hella loud.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even at idle your car is going to be ridiculous
Old 12-06-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

two traditional mufflers off of the collector should make it better, but your gonna be paying fo rthem. Do you knwo what you want to run when you get money? Maybe get some flowmaster 1 chambers right off the collector if there is room, that should quiet it down some and then you could use them in true duals.

also, any tubular straight through muffler isn't going to do much for sound reduction.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

I'm going to get TSP True Duals as soon as I can get together enough money and go to an exhaust shop to make them fit on the ebay headers. But that won't be for a while, I dont get a lotta hours to work since I'm in school and swim every morning/afternoon
Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

your gonna want to look for some larger/baffled mufflers to quiet it down and yet still it's gonna be loud as they're sooo close to the collector. a dynomax bullet is just as good as straight pipe. your idle will be just as loud, if not more as you will be bringing the devil himself up from the ground to shake/ecco everything in sight
Old 12-06-2006, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

I love the sound of open headers, and if it were up to me i wouldnt mind running open headers at all. Texas cops are generally more lenient but in the suburbs, missouri city and sugar land cops can be bitches. I also tend to drive with windows open so it'll smell kind of bad and every passenger i've drive have complained about my cutouts which i dont think are loud at all...
Old 12-07-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

If your putting on headers then you have to run up the road with open headers atleast once. I've ran my 454 in my garage with open headers a few times during the set up. All I can say is my neighbors don't know what the car is but they know its loud. I will drive up the road at WOT at least once with the open headers before I put my x-pipe on.

Also when I replaced my LT-1 I had to drive across town with the stock manifolds and y-pipe to get the cat back put on. Even though I was stock except for a few bolt ons it turned everyones head.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

I ran open for about a week in the D.C. area no less. I felt bad for my neighbors as I go to work at 0515 every weekday.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an idea. Don't put the headers on until you have the cash for the exhaust. That way you don't waste money on mufflers you don't need.

header cones are cheap and are good for a couple db in noise reduction.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Here's an idea. Don't put the headers on until you have the cash for the exhaust. That way you don't waste money on mufflers you don't need.

I think that's the best idea yet.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99

I dont have that kind of patience Headers are sitting in my closet and having to keep them in my house and not on the car is torture. What are header cones?