Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swinging the other way: quiet exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swinging the other way: quiet exhaust

Greetings,

I purchased my current vehicle (99 SS) from a member of this board a few years ago. On it, there is what looks like a custom made and installed long-tube, cat-less, muffler-less, pair of 3" pipes (x-pipe intersect) that hang kinda low and dump at the rear bumper (some welds show that they originally were axle-dump).

The "holy ******* ****!" loud exhaust was fun for awhile, but now my hearing tests are showing me that I'm sustaining gradual hearing damage (something I know to be irreversible), so I'm ready to put on an exhaust that is not only much quieter, but also hugs the car a bit better than the current one.

I have a pair of cats from a previous LS1 that I can use, but I really need suggestions on an exhaust that's stealthy quiet (can go loud at high rpms) and won't bankrupt me, as I am putting the gf through her second college education, leaving me with little disposable income. This car will NOT be tracked, as I am trying to keep it in very good condition until I can purchase one of the new Camaros in the future.

Thoughts? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
(searching didn't really turn up the information I'm looking for)
Old 12-07-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread running currently in this part of the fourm talking about exaclty this....do a search one dual-in dual-out... your could keep your X...and quiet that mother down
Old 12-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BitViper
There is a thread running currently in this part of the fourm talking about exaclty this....do a search one dual-in dual-out... your could keep your X...and quiet that mother down
I had a feeling it was the search terminology that was killing me. Thank you for your help.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

Here is a link to that thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/617867-pics-true-duals-w-one-dual-dual-out-muffler.html

Basically it's a way to fit a full size muffler in a true dual setup. It will quiet the exhaust down a great deal, but there is another option. If you can fit them there you can run 2 full size mufflers before the exit tips out back...on a Camaro they might look weird but on a TA you can get it to work ok.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just add mufflers since you don't have any.

To find out what mufflers sound the best to you, go here www.ls1sounds.com

Click on the true dual section and start listening to samples.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lsx24
Here is a link to that thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617867

Basically it's a way to fit a full size muffler in a true dual setup. It will quiet the exhaust down a great deal, but there is another option. If you can fit them there you can run 2 full size mufflers before the exit tips out back...on a Camaro they might look weird but on a TA you can get it to work ok.

Ive seen that they place tem in "Oval up" Vs oval side to side
Old 12-07-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

A couple Borla XR-1s would set you back a couple hundred bucks and sound nice.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
A couple Borla XR-1s would set you back a couple hundred bucks and sound nice.
Borla XR-1 ExhaustThe Borla XR-1 Race exhaust is the highest flowing exhaust for the C5. It also is the loudest of all the exhausts.
That would defeat his purpose...
Old 12-08-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

He's not buying a C5 exhaust.

The oval Borlas may not be totally stealthy, but a pair of them will make a noticeable difference in sound pressure levels. Combined with the cats, it will sound pretty decent and be quiter than what he has now. Summit/Jegs also carry a wide selection of mufflers if you want quiet at a cheaper price than Borlas.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I just thought a XR1 is a XR1..might be a bit diffrent to fit on the car its ment to but functionaly they'd be the same...if not..my bad!

Ive been doing some listening over at LS1Sounds....and is it me or does the Bassini sound like the SLP Dual-Dual on steroids

Last edited by BitViper; 12-08-2006 at 07:30 PM.