Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

leaky exhaust for sts

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default leaky exhaust for sts

Im about to put my sts turbo on but starting to realise that I have had small leaks with my slip fit headers the whole time I have had them. I havent had band clamps but I have bought them to help out.

I was wondering however if there is a flange that can be welded on. I dont want to cut the header and weld it on. I just want to slip fit them together and then tack weld the flanges in the spot so they have both slip fit and flanges. That should cure all exhaust leaks the way I see it. I plan to weld my I-pipe where it goes over the rear axle as well. Also I dont want to use my magnaflow I pipe. Shoule I be able to use my stock one and just cut the muffler and flar the end? Or weld a pice to that?

I know they have these, just not sure where to get them. I seen them used while making an exhaust on tv but they didnt say anything about where to get them.

Are there any other ways you guys have been making a leak proof exhaust for rear turbo.

I know to wrap the exhasut have its all together to help spool also.

Also I know that a lot of guys say go back to stock manifolds. If im not happy I will do that or go with some shorties.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Just found that a lot of people use v-band and Ball flanges. Any other ides you guys have would be great..

Dont really see how the v-bands work so well. Looks like a small band clamp. I do see that its circular looking tho...
Old 12-08-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a small leak...some JB Weld and then wrap it...
Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

If I put jb weld all the way around the pipe. how hard would it be to get back loose?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
Dont really see how the v-bands work so well. Looks like a small band clamp. I do see that its circular looking tho...
Each end of the pipe has its edge turned up, into a flat flange. The "v" part of the v-band clamp presses those flanges against each other as it's tightened up. (the edge of the flanges are pressed further into the pointy part of the "v" as you tighten the clamp)
Old 12-09-2006, 05:46 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

There are small and cheap band clamps, and there are larger, sturdier and more expensive band clamps. The sturdier ones do a much better job of sealing the exhaust. We smear muffler sealant around the pipe, then slide them together and install the band clamp. Bob
Old 12-09-2006, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
There are small and cheap band clamps, and there are larger, sturdier and more expensive band clamps. The sturdier ones do a much better job of sealing the exhaust. We smear muffler sealant around the pipe, then slide them together and install the band clamp. Bob

Thanks...after seeing the price of v-clamps ill have to try the muffler sealant.