Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does muffler location make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Does muffler location make a difference?

Does anyone know if putting the muffler under the center of the car vs. putting it at the back will make any resonance noise/vibration difference? My setup right now is the magnamouth which I like, and I dont want to change the sound, but with my cam there are a lot of vibration and rattles in the car. I was wondering if they would be less if the muffler was located in the back.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vibrations and rattles aren't going away from simply moving the muffler. Sorry.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So it doesnt matter where the muffler is placed? I just thought maybe the vibrations could be felt more by the driver if the muffler is right under the seats.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Placement of the muffler is probably not going to make a whole lot of difference in that situation. It would make more of a difference running/adding cats and/or running a full size muffler than it would muffler location.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

i had different exhaust done to my car and it won't matter where you put your exhaust its all going threw that same tube and out the back, it may sound different because it can resonate where you put the muffler but you won't be able to tell in the car.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Goodrich
Does anyone know if putting the muffler under the center of the car vs. putting it at the back will make any resonance noise/vibration difference? My setup right now is the magnamouth which I like, and I dont want to change the sound, but with my cam there are a lot of vibration and rattles in the car. I was wondering if they would be less if the muffler was located in the back.
Sounds like you need some POLY motor mounts.

Quick Reply: Does muffler location make a difference?