Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid fitment issues?...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lid fitment issues?...

Just put an SLP lid on our 99 WS6. The lid is a great product. But we are having a hard time getting it to stay where we want it. What I mean is, the lid wants to "shift" to the passanger side, and slip over the lower assembly (Where the filter is) instead of staying on top, and no matter how hard we try, one of the clips pops off. We have tried bending at the metal clip, and positioning it at the edge of the SLP lid, we are out of ideas. Anyone else have any trouble? We like how tight it fits, but its almost so tight it wont cooperate.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, thats nothing new.. if you do a search, youll see alot of guys have that problem.. it think when you put on a smooth bellow, it makes it even worse..

On mine, i put the front TOP lip behind the front Bottom lip, so it keeps it in place, that make sence ?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Yea we did a smooth below too. And yea that makes sense....BUT...doesnt that let air in after the filter at some spot? Or no?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

It might, but i dont think so, The front 2 clips hold the lid down pretty firm..As long as you have a good foam seal (from filter to lid) , you should be fine..
Old 12-08-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DeviLs1
Yea, thats nothing new.. if you do a search, youll see alot of guys have that problem.. it think when you put on a smooth bellow, it makes it even worse..

On mine, i put the front TOP lip behind the front Bottom lip, so it keeps it in place, that make sence ?
This is what I did works fine no problems......
Old 12-08-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DeviLs1

If I understand what you're trying to say, that's the way it's supposed to sit.
The front of the lid sits behind that front lip.

I live 15 minute from SLP and have dealt with them, they are good peoples.
Contact SLP if it's new and they might be able to help you, LS1Silverado05.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In the middle of the two metal clips, the bottom airbox will be IN FRONT of the lip of the lid. Here are some pics. I had problems with my passenger side clip popping off for a while until I got it adjusted right. I have heard of problems with the smooth bellow also though. I have the stock bellow. You may have to trim your up with a knife to get the lid to seat right I believe.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:04 AM
12 Second Club

i had to cut my bellow a bit. i hav it set-up the same as the other guys.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:45 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem. Bought my 02 Z28 with a stock bellow, K&N, MTI lid and missing a clip. I bought a clip from GM and it wouldn't stick. Figured, "oh well". Then I bought a SLP CAI and smooth bellow and STILL no luck with the passenger clip. Finally I got to cleaning my K&N and couldn't wait for it to dry and bought a paper filter, and my lid and BOTH CLIPS fit snug as a pair of DD's in a C cup bra. Sooo.. I think the K&N was holding me back.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PassoutWilly
I had the same problem. Bought my 02 Z28 with a stock bellow, K&N, MTI lid and missing a clip. I bought a clip from GM and it wouldn't stick. Figured, "oh well". Then I bought a SLP CAI and smooth bellow and STILL no luck with the passenger clip. Finally I got to cleaning my K&N and couldn't wait for it to dry and bought a paper filter, and my lid and BOTH CLIPS fit snug as a pair of DD's in a C cup bra. Sooo.. I think the K&N was holding me back.
your k&n should have come with seals. the paper filters have thicker seals.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:04 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I trimmed my bellow and notched the stock box. solved my problem, but rubbed the hood prior to that like a son of a bitch and looks terrible on the lid and hood now.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Trim the bellow
Old 12-09-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

the lid on my dad's hawk actually fit fine up front but out back we couldnt get it to stay down, I think we were losing a LOT of air that way, and were probably losing track time, so we duct taped it until we can figure out what to do, we have the smooth bellow also