LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default O2 sensors

my car is running rich and throwing a rich code because i have bad o2's. i'm fixing to do some LT's in about a month. if i put the O2 simulators with the LT's will that take care of the code and make it run better or do i have to do something else? need HELP.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

just buy new o2 sensors
Old 12-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Launching!

the sensors cost as much as the simulators should i just wait for the simulators?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

What O2s are bad? If it is the O2s that are going into your (future) header collectors, definately DO NOT replace those with simulators. The car relies on the readings of those sensors in closed loop to operate correctly. That's basically a band-aid (and a ghetto one at that). There can be detrimental effects to running the car like that.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
What O2s are bad? If it is the O2s that are going into your (future) header collectors, definately DO NOT replace those with simulators. The car relies on the readings of those sensors in closed loop to operate correctly. That's basically a band-aid (and a ghetto one at that). There can be detrimental effects to running the car like that.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Launching!

so can i use the stock O2 sensors on the new headers? or what would i need to do?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1_King
so can i use the stock O2 sensors on the new headers? or what would i need to do?
If your headers are coated -- the rule of thumb is to wait about a week (give or take about a 100 miles) to let the ceramic coating burn off on the inside of the primaries and make its way through the exhaust system.

If you replace the O2s right away they can get fouled prematurely from the headers burning off the excess crap when they are brand new. At that point, it'd definately be a good idea to replace the O2s -- purchase OE Replacement AC Delco O2 Sensors. The Bosch sensors you get at a local DAP will not cut it, and you'll end up replacing the bosch's with Delcos should you choose to go that route.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your headers are coated -- the rule of thumb is to wait about a week (give or take about a 100 miles) to let the ceramic coating burn off on the inside of the primaries and make its way through the exhaust system.

If you replace the O2s right away they can get fouled prematurely from the headers burning off the excess crap when they are brand new. At that point, it'd definately be a good idea to replace the O2s -- purchase OE Replacement AC Delco O2 Sensors. The Bosch sensors you get at a local DAP will not cut it, and you'll end up replacing the bosch's with Delcos should you choose to go that route.

I let my car runs with plugs for about 2 months when I put the headers on (just drove it back and fourth to work, 0.5 miles) before i threw new ones in....after hearing how some of the guys cars run down here with sims, I'm glad i forked over the lil extra cash and got extentions with Actuall 02's......Would not recoment using Sims..
Old 12-09-2006, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
I let my car runs with plugs for about 2 months when I put the headers on (just drove it back and fourth to work, 0.5 miles) before i threw new ones in....after hearing how some of the guys cars run down here with sims, I'm glad i forked over the lil extra cash and got extentions with Actuall 02's......Would not recoment using Sims..
I run an O2 sim on my sensor that should be in my cat (because my cat is no longer there) -- but the O2s in the collectors are essential for the car to run correctly in closed loop.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run an O2 sim on my sensor that should be in my cat (because my cat is no longer there) -- but the O2s in the collectors are essential for the car to run correctly in closed loop.
Guess I lucked out..only had the 2 in the collectors to worry about...
Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Launching!

would mine be the same as your 95?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1_King
would mine be the same as your 95?
If you've got Longtubes you're going to need 12" O2 Extensions. I definately don't recomend hardwiring it -- the plug and play extensions make swapping sensors later much easier.

If your car is a '95 -- and the exhaust isn't touched then you've got two cats. You'll need two O2 sims for the two O2 sensors in the cats, but you'll need new O2 sensors for the ones that will be in the header collectors.

Quick Reply: O2 sensors