LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

She Runs!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She Runs!

SHE RUNS!!!

well kinda, ran for about 5 seconds and then we cut it off (no coolant running through or anything) Tried turning it over again and the timing acted like it took a dump on us, acted really bad. So we thought some rocker arms were too tight since we had a problem adjusting them in the first place since the lifters kept bleading down so it made it kind of difficult to be sure when all lash was eliminated. Well anyways, we unhooked the opti and turned it over...a lot (i was suprised at how good my battery was) too check the rocker arms, well nothing seemed wrong so we fired it up again, ran for about 2 seconds then started loading up and popping bad (flames shot out of the intake and exhaust). So we stopped, let it sit for 15 minutes and then tried turning it over without spark to check the rockers again, turned it on again, did the same thing. Then me, being the apparent genius of the group at the time realized that it probably wasnt a very good idea to disconnect spark but not the injectors, so we checked the oil and smelled gas in it, so what we're going to do is let it sit over night, change the oil, and just fire it up and see how it goes. For the few moments it ran right it sounded really good (loud car) and really didnt seem to have a problem idling. Anyways, hopefully it goes better tomorrow and i can then hook up my cooling and AC system and hopefully be done in time for the cruise on Friday. Wish me luck, and if anyone has any ideas then shoot the out, anything is sure to help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-09-2006, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Back off your Rockers a hair. Mine did the same thing, and the Rocker lash was the reason. I actually backed them until loose, turned it over with just the Starter(everything else disconnected) so the Lifters could pump up, and tightened them 1/6 turn past the lash point(pushrod resistance). Started and ran no problems. Your Oil should be alright..
And if you think yours was loud, mine was open Headers with the Hot Cam in it. People were plugging their ears in the shop. I wanted to drive it like that..
Old 12-09-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, yea, i was planning to try it open headers since we started my friends car up like that and it was loud, but when i say loud i mean really for a street car because i heard it through the entire exhaust system, i knew it would be loud with no cats, LT's and just a GMMG but not really as loud as it really is. When you backed off your rockers did you go throught the whole sequence or did you torque them down as they sat?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

I did it at #1 TDC, and then #6 TDC. You can get half of them at each interval there.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright then, do you have aftermarket rocker arms? the comp install guide told me a different way to do it but it was much more tedious, im just going to do it the normal procedure like you stated.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

I have the GMPP LT4 1.6 RR's.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok, ill change the oil real quick and then re-do all my rockers, i wasnt confident the first time they were done and figured i would have problems. Hopefully i'll have a sound clip later today if all goes well

Quick Reply: She Runs!