LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SES light on for ESC

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES light on for ESC

To start with the car is 94 Z28 with LT4 hot cam, 1.6's, mildly ported heads, EWP, Hooker LT's, ORY, CAI, 4L60E w 4.10's. The SES light is on and the code is for ESC. Is this the same thing as the knock sensor or what? Would the LT4 knock module as well as the LT4 knock sensor fix this problem or can it be fixed with a tune? It has never been tuned for any of the mods as of yet because I just got it a few months ago and have been working out some bugs. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

best bet would be to have it tuned first. I will say most of your "bugs" will go away after that. Then if the problem reoccurs then I would trouble shoot it.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

ESC is in fact a code for the knock sensor. I have removed mine and it will always throw that code. I zeroed all the tables for spark retard so there is no retarding of timing ever. With the ESC code, I would GUESS that your PCM is retarding timing all the time so you are probably down on power.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a multimeter and read the knock sensor out. The numbers are in the chiltons I think, but I would go ask the dealership what they should be.
So is it code 40 something right?
I did some work on my car last winter when I blew the head gaskets out, I bought a new knock sensor from Napa. Well my car never threw the code for ESC but it did after I put their sensor in. Took it to a GM dealership, they read it out and told me it was bad, they put one in, problem solved. Had all my timing back.

So get the resistance numbers and read it out, or have them read it out.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Here is shoebox's page on testing the knock sensor circuitry. I had this code and could never get rid of it. I tested my ks and it was bad. I put a brand new one in and the code was still there. I tested the wire and ks and everything checked out, but the light stayed on. I just ended up zeroing the knock tables out and getting rid of the ks code. Good luck.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#knock_sensor
Old 12-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks all. As soon as I get some time to tinker with it I'm going to try that. I've got another cam to go in it now so I'm probably going to get that in before I get it tuned. It's got a smoking issue now that I believe to either be an intake leak or pcv problem. Oil pressure is good throughout the rpm range. When I accelarate it smokes as well as decelaration. It pulls hard and runs smooth even being un-tuned.

Quick Reply: SES light on for ESC