Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts return oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sts return oil pump

i was just wondering how reliable the sts return oil pump is for a daily driver? my car is currently getting tuned, and rather than having this pump go out sooner or later, as i havent heard good things about these pumps, i'd like to replace it with a more reliable one... any ideas? or what is everyone else using instead?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

The pumps are more reliable than you think. If everything is installed right, it will work fine for a long time.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

well i might have to drive it 300+ miles at a time, so i just dont want it crapping out on me if i'm far away from home...
Old 12-11-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

hmmm I havent had good luck at all. my kit has had oil problems from the jump. most of the time it fills the intake pipes throught the compressor housing. I hope someone has some good input on this. I will def. be dropping in on this thread for more info myself. ~Guy
Old 12-11-2006, 01:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seen 3 of them die in vegas in less than 1 year of use.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I have just had better luck. I'm going by the number of pumps I have warrantied out of the kits I have sold; 2 out of around 60. Its hard to say for sure not knowing exactly how the cars are used; daily drivers or just weekend toys.
As far as the oil in the charge pipe issue, that is usually due to something else such as the check valve.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:53 AM
10 Second Club

well... what is everyone using as replacements?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is another brand out there (the name escapes me). You can do a search and find it. It is around 250.
The oil in the intake is more of a problem, since that is the valve, not the pump. I am currently fighting this issue, no resolution at this point. The valve is brass, and it appears that the machining is the problem.
My main issue with the pump itself is the insane noise, probably due to the very poor mounting. I have some true isolation mounts that I am planning on using, when I can find the time to mount them.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tell me more about this oil in the intake problem...
(since I have it too)

I have a check valve. The arrow is pointing toward the turbo. It's in the feed line.
After taking it off and looking in it, it appears to stop oil from flowing back to the engine...
So I don't see how it has anything to do with how much oil is getting to the turbo.

I put an .050 restrictor in for testing. It seemed to stop the oil leak, but very little was getting through to the return line too.
(it also had a piece of teflon tape in it..., I found out later)
I drilled it out to .080 and it flows better, but it's still leaking some oil into the compressor and intake pipes.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i never really had TOO much oil in the charge pipes, but the check valve did go when i 1st put my kit on. i got another check valve installed and the oil problem stopped.

as far as the pumps noise, i've goteen used to it and i drown it out with my music and the car
Old 12-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

I also had to change the check valve shortly after installing the turbo, the major oil problem stoped but there is still a small misting of oil in the pipes. I think my oil pump has finally shot craps since it pops the fuze when it goes into high speed.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

The function of the check valve is to prevent the oil in the return line from running back into the intake line. When it fails, oil will go back into the intake (or charge) line. When I pulled my intake line the other day, there was oil laying in the pipe. When I looked at the MAF, it was coated with oil, which will change the way the MAF operates.
I agree that the stereo will drown out the pump noise. But my goal was to build a sleeper, which the pump negates. I did not choose a supercharger because I can always hear the whine. So the pump noise was an unwelcome surprise.
But I love the way the turbo kicks azz, so I will work through the STS built-in crud.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've had my STS kit on the truck for almost 2 years and it is my DD. I've put 30,000+ miles on it and not one problem. I also live where we have some pretty harsh weather conditions (below 0 in the winter and 100+ in the summers. I'm not one bit afraid to jump in the truck, hook a trailer up to it and head cross country. I run 7 psi daily and 10 when i feel spunky . Seems pretty reliable to me .
Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Teching In

The check valve is to not allow excess oil in the feed line to enter the turbo when the engine is off. When oil feeds into the turbo and has no where to go(due to the system oil return not drained by gravity, reason why this system needs a return pump) it sits on the seal for the turbine shaft and when the turbo cools down, the excess oil will start to seep pass the seal into the intake or the exhaust. The spring in the check valve will give way under the slightess oil pressure from the motor during engine running.

I had this problem right after my install. Come to find out the check valve had no spring. Replaced the check valve and never had a problem since.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

After a month or so of DD the car the pump noise went away and the fuel pump went back to being the loudest noise at the back of the car.

Quick Reply: sts return oil pump