General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

no power to starter...?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power to starter...?'s

the car started fine last night. i wake up this morning and i turn the key and nothing...

i've eliminated-

1. dead battery
2. blown fuses
3. key fob works and enables and disables locks/alarm
4. swapped out relays and they click when the ignition is turned on

after all of this i took a volt meter to see if im getting a power signal to the starter enable (pink wire on the starter). im NOT getting any signal/power to it..

when i scanned the car this morning i got p1626 which is "fuel pump enable security " or something like that- but i disabled that code to eliminate it from the equasion.. still nothing.

any ideas? worst comes to worst it is gonna get hot-wired (12v to the enable of the starter) and driven to harrisspeed so they can try and figure it out, among the other problems it has. if that doesn't work it is getting towed.. i'd like to think it is something stupid but i just cannot find the problem.

HOW can i bypass the alarm system to eliminate that from the equasion? using jumper wires or whatever i need..guess i'd need a wiring diagram for that however.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also check the load on your wires...this can give you a little insight and eliminate some other possiblities
Old 12-10-2006, 07:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you check the PRNDL switch Park neutral ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-10-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

forgot about that- i checked the park saftey switch. actually cut the wires, stripped them back, and tied them together. first thing i did but still nothing. i have since tied them back into the switch for saftey's sake. i didn't check continuity on that switch however- but i'd think tieing them together would eliminate the need.

what wires am i testing for load? if i can did up a wiring diagram i can trace it back from the starter to the relay to wherever it goes from there and see where the circuit is not complete.

since the relays are clicking however the circuit has to be open before the starter relay in the engine bay. anybody know the contact in line before that relay? or a link to a wiring diagram would help a ton. in the back of my head it seems like an alarm malfunction, i just gotta figure out how to bypass it to see.

im still stumped that it just happened overnight.

Last edited by sleeperstyle; 12-10-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

update- it was the starter. after further testing i found i was getting power to the 2 pins on the relay, and after powering up the starter via a jump-box the bendix shot out but didn't spin..

new starter, problem fixed.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
update- it was the starter. after further testing i found i was getting power to the 2 pins on the relay, and after powering up the starter via a jump-box the bendix shot out but didn't spin..

new starter, problem fixed.

what type of starter did you get, my solinoid is bad on mine and I was wondering what a good one to go with was. Im doing a search now, its how I found this thred.