Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car go boom. christmas early..few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car go boom. christmas early..few questions...

havnt driven the car in 4 months had someone drive it ocasionally to keep it running and what not and not just sitting, come home and get on it pretty good (who wouldnt?) and here a *thud* and then knocking limp it around the block to my house and park her, ticking while at idle, smoke from the tails...burning oil not good.

so have it trailered up to a shop and ran the codes #6 cylinder was done, dont know a whole lot about valvetrain but something to do with the retainer cracking? pull the heads off and hole in the piston

so new heads for christmas, along with a FAST intake, and a TSP cam probably the torquer V2 which is, 232/234 .595/.598, also finally going to have my headers and true duals put on as they've been collecting dust in the closet.

this car is a daily driver and will see the highway fairly often...I was suggested dart heads, personally I know zilch about them, and was looking at the patriot heads...

I remeber there being a pinned thread on head and cam combos and the numbers people had...I cant seem to find it anymore...?

sucks it happened now, but I did plan on eventually ripping it apart and building it up...

whats some good heads to go along with the T2 cam?

Chad
Old 12-11-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think your going to have to do alot more then just get heads if your cylinder is done...
Old 12-11-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like stroker time.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Yea I would go with a complete rebuild with a stroker kit.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Sounds just about like mine. I pulled the head off and pulled the piston out of the top. (rod is still attached to the crank, block dosen't look pretty either)I'll post pics of my #7 cyl and heads when I get back on dry land.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by playtoy
Sounds just about like mine. I pulled the head off and pulled the piston out of the top. (rod is still attached to the crank, block dosen't look pretty either)I'll post pics of my #7 cyl and heads when I get back on dry land.
you in the Navy?

reason I dont have any more info is I havn't actually seen my car in a month or so...doing some training in avon park, Fl have a few navy Seabee's here with the rest of us Marines...

yeah well pistons to...not sure if i want to stroke it or stay stock cubes and have a mild h/c/i car...to many decisions and not enough knowledge.

Chad
Old 12-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
I havn't actually seen my car in a month

Chad
So, that someone has been smashen in it while you been gone... Motor's dont blow on there own...

They better help you pay for it!

All i can say is, go stroker. Do it ones, do it right.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Launching!

No I work on an offshore drilling rig. I'm with twistedta, I was driving the s**t out of mine when it let go, but it had 130000 hard *** miles on it already.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Darts dont flow well right out of the box. ask sponsors about good heads and get a cheap shortblock.