Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

What's The Best Camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's The Best Camera

Ok so I have really started to enjoy taking badass pictures of my car in cool areas of town and hate the camera that i am using. I was wondering whats the best camera for day and night pics and where to get them at.
Thanks
David
Old 12-11-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you using?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you are using a Cybershot W5.

And naturally the best cameras are gonna be you SLR and dSLR's.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Banned

canon, come down to circuit city i will hook u up i work in the camera department. pm me for details.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Launching!

dSLRs are the best. Canon seems to have the rep of being the best but theres people in my family that stand by their Nikons. They are the best but very pricey once you get into all the lenses and all that.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:54 PM
JUICED96Z

There are people that spend more on their lenses then on their high dollar cameras lol.

Get what ya pay for.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
There are people that spend more on their lenses then on their high dollar cameras lol.

Get what ya pay for.
That's meee!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

nikon d70 is a beast , also canon rebel xt
Old 12-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned

dSLR is your best bet, but lenses are an arm and a leg and I have no idea why? anyone know?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

A single lens reflex (SLR) is going to be your "best" camera, but there are many types of SLRs (both conventional film types as well as digital SLRs). Digital cameras are obviously the new wave. If you're looking at entry level SLRs you need to look towards the Nikon D50 and the Canon Digital Rebel XT. The Nikon D70 and D70s are the next step and then you're looking at the Canon Digital Rebel XTi and Nikon D80 (what I use) after that. Sometimes I wish I would have went Canon due to the versatility and software support and its a big plus when looking into cameras... but overall I'm very happy with my Nikon. While Canon is highly regarded in automotive photography circles Nikon has a very good reputation and seems to be favored in other circles as well. The deciding factor for me was if I'm spending that kind of money on a camera I want it to feel and operate a certain way. The Canon Rebel XT felt cheap to me. The Nikon felt much higher quality and more well built and the controls and menus were more intuitive to me. That was my deciding factor. The best bet it to go to a camera shop and try to play with a few different ones and see which fits you the best.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by josh99ta
A single lens reflex (SLR) is going to be your "best" camera, but there are many types of SLRs (both conventional film types as well as digital SLRs). Digital cameras are obviously the new wave. If you're looking at entry level SLRs you need to look towards the Nikon D50 and the Canon Digital Rebel XT. The Nikon D70 and D70s are the next step and then you're looking at the Canon Digital Rebel XTi and Nikon D80 (what I use) after that. Sometimes I wish I would have went Canon due to the versatility and software support and its a big plus when looking into cameras... but overall I'm very happy with my Nikon. While Canon is highly regarded in automotive photography circles Nikon has a very good reputation and seems to be favored in other circles as well. The deciding factor for me was if I'm spending that kind of money on a camera I want it to feel and operate a certain way. The Canon Rebel XT felt cheap to me. The Nikon felt much higher quality and more well built and the controls and menus were more intuitive to me. That was my deciding factor. The best bet it to go to a camera shop and try to play with a few different ones and see which fits you the best.
Couldn't say it better for myself, still most of the deciding factor is the $$ for some ppl unlike us josh

peace
Old 12-12-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

just bought a nikon d200.

I'll give full report and shoot some pics with it up when i get it
Old 12-12-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by josh99ta
wow that is awesome advice. i really would want a dslr but in all honesy, something small and compact is more practicle for me, im not tryin to steal this thread, but am also wondering the same ?'s as mycamaross and maybe he is in the same boat as me. do any of these 8 and up mgpxl little digital cameras compair? if so which ones? and even if they dont, which are the better?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1_Hawk
wow that is awesome advice. i really would want a dslr but in all honesy, something small and compact is more practicle for me, im not tryin to steal this thread, but am also wondering the same ?'s as mycamaross and maybe he is in the same boat as me. do any of these 8 and up mgpxl little digital cameras compair? if so which ones? and even if they dont, which are the better?
no...they do not compare one bit...you get what you pay for when it comes to photography as car stuff...point and shoots are great if you just wanna take snapshots of this and that but if you really want a great looking picture the dslr is the way to go...i have a canon a610 and a 20d and the a610 has not fired a shot in over 5 months because the 20d is so much nicer to pop a picture out of

i have a thread of photography i have done....look at those and if that is the kind of quality you're looking for then that camera is for you

to the thread poster....look on ebay for a canon 20d...you wont regret it
Old 12-12-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

thanks guys, i will look them up
Old 12-12-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I broke down and bought a 20D a couple years ago and its an awesome camera but the lense it came with blows for any serious photography. And as mentioned above the lense dept. is where it gets expensive. Your best bet is to get a Rebel xti and make friends with someone else whos been into it for a while and borrow their lenses! One of my good friends has six or seven lenses that I borrow all the time.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:16 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ya, i am looking to get a new camera eventually and when i went to look at the ones i hear about, they are over a 1000 bucks, lol.

i need a motor before i need the camera, ill stick to my canon powershot s2 for now.

i cant believe the difference a good slr makes over you point n shoot.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im surprised no one's brought up this link yet...anyway...Anyone looking for a new camera and want to see a full review of it, sample pics etc...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

I've been using that site for almost 3 years now...best reviews ever. This site influenced me to buy 3 cameras over the years...good stuff!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

same boat as your in.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '00_Z
I broke down and bought a 20D a couple years ago and its an awesome camera but the lense it came with blows for any serious photography. And as mentioned above the lense dept. is where it gets expensive. Your best bet is to get a Rebel xti and make friends with someone else whos been into it for a while and borrow their lenses! One of my good friends has six or seven lenses that I borrow all the time.
the kit lens is not that terrible...i have taken some nice images with it myself and i am impressed with it eventho other's say its a turd...these are from the kit lens:

Old 12-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Point and shoots CAN take good pictures. Given the same photograher with the same knowledge a SLR is going to turn out a better picture... but you can still get some great pictures out of a quality point and shoot with a little practice and know-how. My buddy just bought the 6MP Canon Elph (not sure on the model number) which is a very slim line and small camera with a huge viewfinder in the back and I took these pictures with it and I was very impressed with the results...