Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting MAF/TB

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting MAF/TB

Hey guys, I drive a Mustang right now ( GM guy at heart, have owned a Corvette, and a LT1 Z28, but I was in a wreck and it's all I could afford. ) Anyway, getting a Trans Am soon ( def. LS1 ), and I was wondering how you port your MAF, and TB at home, and what tools you need. I am sure this has been asked before, but I was just wondering for future referrance.
Thanks guys.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

all you really nead is a dremel tool i used that with a bit that had small peaces of sand paper they worked pretty fast. for the maf u need a hand saw to put between the maf and cut the ends off. i think there is a real good write up on www.installuniversity.com. just read up on porting the maf i have it and was looking to trade for a stock maf. but now going to get a sd tune and will no longer need it. this is a good site for the tb https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=22
Old 12-11-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stick with the ported TB. Your not going to see really much from a ported MAF. Just trying to save you time and possibly a headache...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DON'T TOUCH THE MAF. it's the best advice anyone could ever give you. there is nothing to be gained as the stock MAF handles at least 500 horsepower. don't port it, don't descreen it. you have nothing to gain but many potential headaches, and believe me, there have been plenty. the ONLY MAF you want on your car is the stocker unless you get a 408 stroker with FI...then you go speed density.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:13 AM
12 Second Club

don't touch the maf. there have been to many probls when doing so. i ported and desreened mine when i was looking at the free mods. i descreened because i was running a dry shot and ported because ithought it would help. i am one of the lucky ones that had no problems with the ported maf. i wana do my Tb next thou.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

yeah, I wasn't going to touch the MAF anyway, was just wondering how you do port it, but porting the TB is a must. =]
Thanks guys.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Banned

Im also curious on how hard this really is?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cld069
Stick with the ported TB. Your not going to see really much from a ported MAF. Just trying to save you time and possibly a headache...

I had 2 MAF's so we ported the ends on one and left the other stock, including the screen. Been to the track a few times, and I swap the end from time to time. My car runs the same both ways. Like what was said above, its not worth the headache.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I descreened my MAF (after I had already obtained a spare stocker just in case) and didn't have any adverse changes from it. Removing the screen will only increase flow...read up on this and understand the potential side affects before you do this mod though. Most say not to bother porting the MAF though.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Do Not port the maf. It is not worth it and is only going to screw things up.
Go right ahead with the throttle body, just look at some write ups, get all the materials and take your time. As long as you go slowly and carefully you will be alright.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Banned

Everyone's going to tell you not to do it except a few (like me). It can show a noticeable gain in throttle response if done properly. Same as stepping up to a PACE (don't go with any other company) 85 mm MAF sensor.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude,......don't **** with the MAF. The risk ain't worth the gain!! If you do it right,..you'll get what,...maybe 1-3 horspower on your top end. Yea,...no joke!!! BUT,.if you mess up,...Your MAP is gonna get all fucked up and your IDLE is gonna be all fucked up or ,.you can permanently screw up the MAF its self. Trust me,....already messed one up myself. Leave the MAF alone. Most you should ever do to one is de-screen one.