Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacement gauges or overlays?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Replacement gauges or overlays?

At first I thought of overlays but now I think they might not be as bright as the replacements. Who sells the true replacements and what do you all think?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

bump?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=dash
The replacement gauge faces are from NRauto.com and the quality is second to none. I've had Macewens and i'd take the NRauto's over them any day. You can also get them from just about any vendor like www.thunderracing.com. Make sure you scroll down about half way as i have pics of them lit up. You might check NR's site because they were actually having a sale on some of their stuff and the prices were cheaper than most vendors had listed. I'm sure most of the vendors would price match them if you ask. I know thunder does.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

overlays would be cheaper
Old 12-13-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

yeh, its is nice quality in the daytime, but how can you compare that hideous green to the red that macewens put out at night, i ust dont care in particular for those green nightlights... Why did you give up the Mac's?? Just wondering...
Old 12-13-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z95m6
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=dash
The replacement gauge faces are from NRauto.com and the quality is second to none. I've had Macewens and i'd take the NRauto's over them any day. .

But you also have the convenience of not having to remove the needles with the MacEwen's, whereas with NRAuto's, you do.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

i wold probly *** up removing the needles
Old 12-13-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00formLs1
overlays would be cheaper
No they're not. On Macewens site they're $110 for the overlays and no bezel. I bought my Nr's when they were on sale for $99. The NR's are a complete gauge face not a decal overlay. So i'm paying less and getting more.

Originally Posted by MyWs62FaST4u
yeh, its is nice quality in the daytime, but how can you compare that hideous green to the red that macewens put out at night, i ust dont care in particular for those green nightlights... Why did you give up the Mac's?? Just wondering...
Macewens are transparent and let the stock lighting through. I have a Camaro that lights up green so if i put overlays on they'd still light up green.
I gave up my old ones because i went from a TA dash to the Camaro dash. I always liked the style of Camaro gauges and Macewen overlays basically turn Camaro gauges into TA gauges. Also my Macewens didn't fit all that great and they would get hot in the summer and slip down. I had to reposition them every summer i had them until i finally super glued them on. I'd also like to never give Macewen any of my money ever again because of his terrible service.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1obsession
But you also have the convenience of not having to remove the needles with the MacEwen's, whereas with NRAuto's, you do.
Removing the needles wasn't that big of a deal to me. Many of my stock gauges read inaccurately from the factory. My tach read about 200 rpm's high at idle, my temp gauge read to high, as well as voltage gauge. My stock speedo read a couple mph too low which could of gotten me a ticket.I just hooked up my laptop and read all the sensors and put the needles back in the correct spot. Now its better than factory.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:52 AM
TECH Resident

so if you jump on my thread here, with the ebay overlays, do you recommend them? you think theyll slip and be shitty in the summer??? check em out!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyWs62FaST4u
so if you jump on my thread here, with the ebay overlays, do you recommend them? you think theyll slip and be shitty in the summer??? check em out!!!
What are you talking about. I have no idea what you're talking about. I've had ebay overlays when i had my 93-96 Camaro dash and they won't slip but i don't really like them. The fact that you have to splice into your wiring for them to work and that you have to usually hit a button for them to light up. At least most of the ones i've seen.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No they're not. On Macewens site they're $110 for the overlays and no bezel. I bought my Nr's when they were on sale for $99. The NR's are a complete gauge face not a decal overlay. So i'm paying less and getting more.
Yes, they are. WS6store.com carries MacEwen's for $80.00.

Also my Macewens didn't fit all that great and they would get hot in the summer and slip down. I had to reposition them every summer i had them until i finally super glued them on. I'd also like to never give Macewen any of my money ever again because of his terrible service.
I had a good experience. Mine have yet to move. WS6store.com no longer stocked 98-99 style because they were hardly ever ordered, as opposed to the 2000-2002. So, they had to special order them from MacEwen. I received them from MacEwen in three days.
I'm not sure why yours would "peel" or "slip" unless the stock gauge surface was dirty? Did all of the overlays peel or just one? Probably defective.

Removing the needles wasn't that big of a deal to me. Many of my stock gauges read inaccurately from the factory. I just hooked up my laptop and read all the sensors and put the needles back in the correct spot. Now its better than factory.
How did you position the speedometer based on a sensor? I noted where the rpm was in relation to the mph per each gear before I removed mine. Then I had to do trial and error before it back to the way it was. Major PITA.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, they are. WS6store.com carries MacEwen's for $80.00.

I had a good experience. Mine have yet to move. WS6store.com no longer stocked 98-99 style because they were hardly ever ordered, as opposed to the 2000-2002. So, they had to special order them from MacEwen. I received them from MacEwen in three days.
I'm not sure why yours would "peel" or "slip" unless the stock gauge surface was dirty? Did all of the overlays peel or just one? Probably defective.
I've had several experiences with him. It took me a month to get my overlays from him, then it took me over a month to get my bezel. Later i needed another bezel I ordered it and never got any response and after 3 weeks i had to send an email to cancel my order because his phone doesn't work. He never responded to any of my emails but i've never gotten a charge on my card. When i pulled my cluster i cleaned it all with rubbing alcohol then i installed the overlays. My buddy had the same problem with his on his car. All of my overlays slipped. It only happened in the summer and it happened every summer.

How did you position the speedometer based on a sensor? I noted where the rpm was in relation to the mph per each gear before I removed mine. Then I had to do trial and error before it back to the way it was. Major PITA.
As i said i have a laptop with scanning software on it. It has readings on everything except the oil pressure and gas gauge. So i just drove my car at 40mph based off my scanning software and set the cruise. Then i put the needle in place and it's been good to go. The only one i had problems with was the gas gauge and thats because it was at the half full position when i removed it. Most people know that if you have an Fbody and the gauge is at half full if you barely move the car it can go down to almost a 1/4 of a tank and then back up to 3/4 of a tank. I filled up the tank and reset the needle and now i have no problems with the gas gauge.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

so I' still confused as what is the best way to go?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CMKworm
so I' still confused as what is the best way to go?
I guess you have to weigh how much you want to pay, what style you want, what color you want, and if you have so way to reset the needles. I can tell you the Nr's my Macewens in quality and customer service, but they may not be the best for you.
Do you want your gauges to look stock but just be white or do you want them to look like TA gauges? If you want stock looking white face gauges you could go with the RPM speed overlays sold by WS6store.com they're only for 99+ Camaros.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

DAMMIT! I just placed an order for those Mac's...
I hear about this and completely forget, as you can see i posted on here, and ordered them anyway... SILVER02TA says his are mint, no slips-no issues. Is there anyone else on here who had an experience they'd like to share with these damn Macewen's>
Old 12-16-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/625107-own-macewen-overlays-yay-nay.html

VOTE!

Quick Reply: Replacement gauges or overlays?