Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

launching technique w/ tq converter on street tires..

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 02:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default launching technique w/ tq converter on street tires..

on the street and/or at the track, what's the best way to launch a stalled car if you're on street tires? i'm using yokohama performance tires but they're not DR's, and i'm putting a 3400 fuddle stall in next week. if I just keep it in D without any breakstanding and go on green will i just shred up the tires or will they hook pretty quickly? my guess is that with traction control off i'll just burn them up, but with it on the bog might be just enough to allow the tires to hook before I take off. thanks for you advice
Old 12-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the factory street tires on my z (goodyear gsc's) and i cant get my car to hook on the street for anything (3200 vig). The only thing that i found that works for me is to not punch it from a dead stand still. I roll to about 5 mph and then wack it it does'nt dead hook but it doesnt spin as much. I aslo run about 28 psi which helped out a little. The only way i can get it to dead hook on the street launching it is to put some fatties in the back seat lol.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

with my PT4400 my tires spin at 50mph
Old 12-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JstALs1
The only thing that i found that works for me is to not punch it from a dead stand still. I roll to about 5 mph and then wack it it does'nt dead hook but it doesnt spin as much.
is that with traction ctrl on or off?

Originally Posted by import slayer
with my PT4400 my tires spin at 50mph
lol while that's impressive it's not very reassuring to my thoughts of running on street tires. what str are your stalls? mine's 2.1 which hopefully won't launch quite as hard as the 2.5 which most people seem to get.

will my car still be practical for street racing on street tires? ..not that I street race or anything
Old 12-14-2006, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 3600 2.2str converter in my car. With street tires, anything over 40% throttle in 1st gear turns into a smokeshow. Anything over 80% throttle in 2nd gear does the same thing. Don't even try launching from a dead stop....you won't move. You'll never be able to truly take advantage of your converter with anything less than a good set of drag radials. I just bit the bullet myself and went with 315 bfg drags last week.....I'm so excited to find out what 1st gear actually feels like in my car (haven't driven it yet)
Old 12-14-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I find the best way is to brake stall it but not too high and slowly release the brake. There really is no good way though
Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=ws649er]is that with traction ctrl on or off?

That is with traction ctrl off. Also i did have drag radials for a couple months in the summer and they didnt really help either unless i heated them up.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Teching In

i don't have heads or a cam yet,, and i'm runnin on 2.73's ,, but maybe that slight lack in speed will actually help me hook,, would putting sand bags in the trunk help at all?...hard to say, guess I just have to put the stall in and see what works best. needless to say i'm pretty psyched
Old 12-14-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

With traction control, it bogs big time and then shoots out quickly. Depending on the road surface, traction control may kick in again while I am moving.

To launch on the street with street tires, I gradually press down on the throttle. You will have to experiment with this to find your sweet spot. I can typically launch very hard on the street, just barking second. Now on the track (and many will disagree with me, but you will have to experiment with your setup and different techniques), I typically do a 3 second dry burnout right on top of race car's burnout residue (black tire patches). I try and line up right behind them as well, so no other street tire car can remove the left over rubber before I get there. I let off the brake and floor it up to the line. Once there, I will not stall it up, and on the third yellow I put the throttle down about a 1/4 of the way and gradually apply it more. Depending on how well it hooks, I will depress the throttle more or faster. Stalling it up has not worked for me, unless I am on ET Streets. Try different techniques, different tracks will require different techniques to be effective ... this is what seperates a good driver from everyone else. Being able to read the surface and know how to best use it to your advantage. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

I just bit the bullet myself and went with 315 bfg drags last week
How much do they cost and do they stick pretty well?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by import slayer
How much do they cost and do they stick pretty well?
They were $300 shipped for the pair. I haven't driven the car yet, but as soft as the compound feels I think they'll be sticky as hell. I'll post up after I get a chance to drive it.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

I was just asbout to post the same theard. glad I didn't post the same thing. thanks for the input!!

hopfuly stalled by christmas
Old 12-14-2006, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

My only track outing with the converter I was on bald BFG KDWS's and I stalled it up to about 2000, and just let out the brake when the light turned. I kept the gas steady as I released the brake and then rolled into the gas. I pulled a 1.9 60' but my tranny crapped out and wouldn't shift from 2-3. My time was a 12.98 at 106. Disappointed and pleased all at the same time. I know the car has a lot more in it.....but running 12's with the issues I had put a big smile on my face. So I basically ran the same time I ran before the converter while losing 1 MPH. Once I get my new tranny and the Yank 4000 in, we'll see what she'll do .
Old 12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

i brake stall it it about 2000 and slightly give it gas until i feel it hook and them go wot. i still get a little spin but thats it. on DR my car feels so bad ***. i stall it up to 2500 and hit thr gas and it gives a chirp and hooks. thats is with the tires cold and new. less than 5 passes on them
Old 12-14-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your gonna have to pedal it out and thats all you can do. On a stock stall I have to pedal the car out of the hole from a dig just so it dosent spin and short shift to 2nd.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I have a 3600 2.2str converter in my car. With street tires, anything over 40% throttle in 1st gear turns into a smokeshow. Anything over 80% throttle in 2nd gear does the same thing. Don't even try launching from a dead stop....you won't move. You'll never be able to truly take advantage of your converter with anything less than a good set of drag radials. I just bit the bullet myself and went with 315 bfg drags last week.....I'm so excited to find out what 1st gear actually feels like in my car (haven't driven it yet)
I know what u mean...i finally last night for the first time tried some BFG Dr's with my stall and MAN!!!! now i see why everyone recomends a stall....i chirped them out the whole a bit but nothing compared to the smokefest of a street tire...i was planted in my seat all the way up to about 110ish when i let off.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

its badass with drs.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

i hate to even ask this but just how much does it suck if you get caught in the rain with dr's? cuz i think im gonna need a pair.....
Old 12-14-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Stalling it up has not worked for me, unless I am on ET Streets.
What did it do? Bog or spin or what? Reason I ask is preloading (stalling) is the best way to lessen the shock to the drivetrain, and the tires and should get you a softer more reliable launch.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

REALLY BADD SUCK!!! lol i was just cruising with some BFG DR's, no messing around and outa no where i was going side ways into oncoming traffic..couldnt pick it up over 45-50 on the highway. Ive heard that Nittos are better in the rain...but from personal experience the BFG's hook way better than nittos when dry.

Quick Reply: launching technique w/ tq converter on street tires..