Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Finest steering response - PS2's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finest steering response - PS2's?

A good friend runs Michelin PS2's on his 97SS, and frankly I'm amazed as others have been at how precise and responsive this rubber is. I'm looking for the finest dry weather tire that will offer the same point and shoot responsiveness as PS2's. BFG's KD debatably may offer overall higher sustained dry weather grip than Michelin, but do they compare in steering response? Any other contenders?

Thanks. Scott.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

IMO, my old KD's had even better steering response than my current PS2's. Those KD's were amazing in that area. I do like my PS2's, but I think my KD's were slightly better in terms of response and overall handling. One thing though, my PS2's seem to have a softer and more forgiving ride than my KD's did. My KD's were STIFF! There aren't too many tires that will be recommended by people on this site, as lots of them look only for dry traction and/or holeshot traction, where a softer sidewall will prevail. The way it looks you are like me and prefer a stiffer sidewall and precise handling over off the line traction.

Paul
Old 12-15-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

KD' s are a nice tire, but I am dissappointed with how noisy they are . . . .
Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

I guess my KD's were a bit noisier than my current PS2's, but that didn't really bother me. The way I see it, the KD's are a no compromise street max performance tire where the PS2 is the more refined and docile max performance tire.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Launching!

PS2's look like a superior wet weather tire. However, I'm only concerned with overall steering response and dry weather performance (CA summer car). By the sounds of things the KD's will fit the bill, for up front at least. Thanks for your comments.

Scott.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

I run these. Seem to do really well for the price.

http://www.discounttire.com/product/tires/falhza.xl.jpg

Falken Azenis RT615

•Next generation Azenis RT spec pure sports performance.

•Improved motorsports grade cap compound maintains grip over a wide range of operating temperatures.

•Increased internal void ratio delivers enhanced wet grip and aquaplane resistance under competition conditions.

•8/32nd molded tread design reduces tread squirm when new while providing predictable mileage for street use.

•200/A/A UTQG qualifies for SCCA Street Tire Class competition.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:25 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by May Spin
PS2's look like a superior wet weather tire. However, I'm only concerned with overall steering response and dry weather performance (CA summer car). By the sounds of things the KD's will fit the bill, for up front at least. Thanks for your comments.

Scott.

They are very good in the rain, they are amazing in the dry... That's the great thing about PS2s. They ride extremely well, as with almost all Michelin tires. BF Goodrich KDs are a great tire as well. They are awesome in the dry, downfalls are they are loud, and suck *** in the wet. But that's not what they're designed for.

Want MAX effort on the street? Look to the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. My favorite street tire of all time. Don't hammer on the car when they're cold... You'll slip and slide all over the place. Once they are warmed up however, there's nothing like them that's DOT approved. Oh, and don't get caught with them in the rain. They aren't nearly as bad as DRs, but they are worse than KDs...

I run Michelin Pilot Sports. I actually prefer them over the PS2s. The downfalls to them, is the likliness for the outside edges of the tire to chop. I run a good amount of camber on my car, but keep the toe pretty neutral. They aren't too chopped after 2+ years of running them. But they've only got 10k on them, always driven hard however.

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend, and how serious you want to get. The BF Goodrich Gforce KD is the cheapest out of all 4 of the above tires. It's also one of the best in the dry. I'd still take the 3 Michelins before I went with the BFG. But that has a lot to do with personal preference. I'm a Michelin guy through and through. They balance up on the machine with ease.

Michelin owns BFG as well, so they're up there on my list as well.

What are you looking to get out of the tires mileage wise?

Rob
Old 12-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Thanks for your comments.... I would prefer to get at least 12K out of fronts. The rears, well what ever I get.... sigh. I'm looking to do a 480+rwhp FI build this winter. So 315 BFG DR's might be inorder. Although not ideal for handling, it may be the only choice for the street, inorder to have anything close to a usable 1st and 2nd gear.

However, it is not all about straight line performance for me, I'll still run my Koni's and big bars along with lots of negative camber. I just loved how responsive the Michelin's were. If the KD's can offer the same or greater responsive steering with better overall dry weather grip not to mention a cheaper price, then it looks like they're a win-win. I know the sports and PS2 are far better in the wet.

Can you describe the difference between the Sports and PS2's?

Thanks. Scott.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Want MAX effort on the street? Look to the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. My favorite street tire of all time. Don't hammer on the car when they're cold... You'll slip and slide all over the place. Once they are warmed up however, there's nothing like them that's DOT approved. Oh, and don't get caught with them in the rain. They aren't nearly as bad as DRs, but they are worse than KDs...
AGREED 100%! Many people overlook this tire, probably due to $ticker shock (especially for how fast they wear, but they ARE a DOT race tire!). Also, unlike the comparable Pirelli Corsas and various Yokos/Bridgestones, Michelin actually makes them in OUR sizes, And NOT just the Euro/ricer sizes!!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

They are very good in the rain, they are amazing in the dry... That's the great thing about PS2s. They ride extremely well, as with almost all Michelin tires. BF Goodrich KDs are a great tire as well. They are awesome in the dry, downfalls are they are loud, and suck *** in the wet. But that's not what they're designed for.

I run Michelin Pilot Sports. I actually prefer them over the PS2s. The downfalls to them, is the likliness for the outside edges of the tire to chop. I run a good amount of camber on my car, but keep the toe pretty neutral. They aren't too chopped after 2+ years of running them. But they've only got 10k on them, always driven hard however.

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend, and how serious you want to get. The BF Goodrich Gforce KD is the cheapest out of all 4 of the above tires. It's also one of the best in the dry. I'd still take the 3 Michelins before I went with the BFG. But that has a lot to do with personal preference. I'm a Michelin guy through and through. They balance up on the machine with ease.

Michelin owns BFG as well, so they're up there on my list as well.

Rob
Some nice input, Rob. I too am a big Michelin fan and all else being equal generally revert back to a Michelin tire just because I know I won't have any quality problems with them. I would LOVE to try a set of Pilot Sport Cups, but they just don't have the range of sizes that I want. If I ever run across a combo where I can put PS Cups on all four corners on a dry weather only car I am going to do it.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Some nice input, Rob. I too am a big Michelin fan and all else being equal generally revert back to a Michelin tire just because I know I won't have any quality problems with them. I would LOVE to try a set of Pilot Sport Cups, but they just don't have the range of sizes that I want. If I ever run across a combo where I can put PS Cups on all four corners on a dry weather only car I am going to do it.
Unlike ALL of the others I've mentioned, they DO make a 275/40 17. One of the VERY few who do in a 60-100 treadwear rated DOT race tire. But yes, I know many want them in 315/335s (or wider! ).