Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is that sound a Magnaflow makes on decel??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is that sound a Magnaflow makes on decel??

just like it says, when u rev, what is the sound it makes afterwards when the rpms are droppin back down? heres a perfect example...heres a link to a guy on ls1sounds.com. listen to the last part of the video where u r staring at the back of the car and he is revving. in between revs on decel, what is that metallic, "tinny" sound it makes? ive heard it on several magnaflows and it sounds kinda bad. what causes this?

http://ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/magna..._JetHotORY.wmv
Old 12-15-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are hearing rasp.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

i thought rasp was the blat blat blat machine gun sound u here when accelerating somewhere in the 2000-2500 rpm range. especially with an ory setup. this is on decel after u rev when the rpms are coming back down. any cure for this?? magnaflow does it the worst from what i hear. ive had magnaflow before and that was my biggest complaint.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmm, my vette used to kinda do that but after I put the bullets on it quit. I have heard of people putting a resonator in the midpipe to stop that sound. Check out this video. Listen to the TA at the end. I think it makes the same sound..VIDEO
Old 12-15-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

i dunno i guess it just sounds like a hollow airy sound...kinda bubbly i guess
Old 12-15-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

I don't know what it is either but it seems to be inherent to certain exaust set-ups, which is: headers, 3" catted-Y, and 3" cat-back.

My Corsa does it under certain conditions. A friend had the exact same setup as mine but on an A4 and did that a lot more. I've heard another car make the same sound as mine and it turns out he had the same kind of setup with a Borla C/B.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Banned

Usually you do not hear about Magnaflow having any sort of tinny sound, because they are one of the best sounding catbacks out there. I think what you must be hearing is common with ypipe setups, they just don't sound as good as true duals. If have a clip of my old Magnaflow catback revving at home tonight I'll post the link.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Tech Resident

rasp comes in more than one flavor. what you're hearing is rasp, and magnaflow is full of it with an ORY. i know i'm in the minority on this one, but i think magnaflow sounds terrible and is extremely raspy. i can't stand that blatty, gurgly sound. the mangaflow has more rasp than my open cutout - a lot more.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
rasp comes in more than one flavor. what you're hearing is rasp, and magnaflow is full of it with an ORY. i know i'm in the minority on this one, but i think magnaflow sounds terrible and is extremely raspy. i can't stand that blatty, gurgly sound. the mangaflow has more rasp than my open cutout - a lot more.

uh, no sir.

I've had both, you are comparing an open cutout to magnaflow? It just doesn't work like that.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah no doubt that is rasp! i bet if you put cats in the Y-pipe that will get rid of it. very common with a ORY.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's entirely possible to have less rasp in a system without a muffler vs. one with a muffler as rasp is the offspring of the exhaust design. Thus, eliminating or changing certain aspects of it (whether it's adding things or removing things) can change it. That is certainly rasp in the video.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

So that sound on decel is rasp indeed. is this attirbuted to the y-pipe design as well as having no cats? ive heard catted cars with magnaflow that dont have that sound, so i know the cats have something to do with it, but does the y pipe design also contribute to the raspiness?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ yes!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

im about to order a catback and its a toss up right now between the hooker and magnaflow. all said and done, i like the hooker sound better, but i like the stainless steel of the magnaflow. i dont like either tips tho, which kinda makes it hard to think about buying either full catback instead of just the muffler.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

and for whoever said the magnaflow has an old school sound....what in the world is old school about the magnaflow sound? its really gurgly instead of a muscle car growl.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Magnaflow with cat's sounds 100x better, just like the loudmouth with cats. It's all in the y-pipe design and whether you're running cats or not. I hated my LT/ORY/LM setup, but I put some small dynatech cats in the Y and now I love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's all in the cats, my friend...
Old 12-15-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's all in the y-pipe merge and exhaust setup. I'll explain in the end.

As for the sound. No it is not rasp. It is the exhaust depressurizing. All free flowing exhausts do it but the sound is more pronounced through an ORY, especially without cats. As for it sounding like hell, maybe if it's not setup correctly. First, almost all off the shelf y-pipes blow chunks. Check out the merges, especially on the inside and you'll be quite suprised. Get a custom one. After having a custom y made and getting most of the exhaust welded up the tone of my exhaust (Magnaflow, Jet hots, no cats) completely changed. Will never sound like a true muscle car but sounds damn good with little rasp, no popping, or mechanical sounds.

The blaaaah sound when the revs are dropping smoothed out alot and sounds more throaty.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try mine for Comparison. I have a Magnaflow muffler with Bassani headers and catted y:
http://www.blackz28.com/Vids/Long%20Revs.wmv
Old 12-15-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dal1as
It's all in the y-pipe merge and exhaust setup. I'll explain in the end.

As for the sound. No it is not rasp. It is the exhaust depressurizing. All free flowing exhausts do it but the sound is more pronounced through an ORY, especially without cats. As for it sounding like hell, maybe if it's not setup correctly. First, almost all off the shelf y-pipes blow chunks. Check out the merges, especially on the inside and you'll be quite suprised. Get a custom one. After having a custom y made and getting most of the exhaust welded up the tone of my exhaust (Magnaflow, Jet hots, no cats) completely changed. Will never sound like a true muscle car but sounds damn good with little rasp, no popping, or mechanical sounds.

The blaaaah sound when the revs are dropping smoothed out alot and sounds more throaty.

As far as having one custom made, how is the merge in the ones off the shelf different from one I would have made? How would I know wut to tell an exhaust guy as far as how I want it made? Im guessing I couldnt just trust any exhaust shop to fabricate one for my car that is decent.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can understand how an exhaust can depressurize, but that the speed the engine is going at say 5k rpm's, it wouldn't do it the entire time for deceleration back to idle. Maybe the first half second is the sound of depressurizing, but not the rest of the time. Like it's been stated, the shape of the exhaust and internal construction determines the amount of rasp so changing parts out will change it.