General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

fuel injector cleaners?

Old 12-15-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel injector cleaners?

My car has been driving great and I was on the interstate this week cruising at 65 and the car did a slight kickback like I lost some power. It seems to be down on power and when I get on the throttle it feels like it is working harder to get up to speed. It is like you can feel it in the steering wheel when you are giving it throttle. I had just filled up with a tank of 93 octane at Amoco and did drive 17 miles before this happened. I was told by my mechanic to try some BG in tank fuel injection cleaner. I don't know if that is what is wrong and I have heard of problems when using some fuel cleaners. Any thoughts?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try a can of Seafoam on a full tank of gas and maybe change the fuel filter once that runs through.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The car only has 51,000 miles on it. I was just wondering about fuel injection cleaners and what everyone did.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevygirl
The car only has 51,000 miles on it. I was just wondering about fuel injection cleaners and what everyone did.
In that case, I use Seafoam.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change your fuel filter. They're like 7 dollars and it only takes a few minutes. Best to do it like once a year.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just changed the fuel filter like 5 months.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it BG serviced, most dealerships can do this.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That is what the mechanic was telling me at the dealer. He said for me to try some of the in tank BG first because it was like 10.00. I wondered if anyone used this stuff on a regular basis.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

I try to run fuel injector cleaner every other tank. Is the car throwing any codes? It can being throwing codes that do not immediately illuminate the SES light.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know about if there is any codes. I don't have a check engine light on. I guess the mechanic should have checked it with his scanner. He was real busy and just thought I had a tank of bad gas.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Id try seafoaming it first if i where you. Give it a shot!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

I use Redline fuel system cleaner. I use some with every fill-up to maintain proper injector flow. It's safe for continual use, I use a ratio of 1/5 ounce per 1 gallon of gas. Works great.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

I've used BG. You'll see 44K on the bottle before you see the BG. It's good stuff, but it's more like $20 bucks a bottle. My ex uses it in his car every other tank of gas.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Also read my thread in this section. It's Another Problem. See if your car has any of the symptoms my car has. It took my car 3 days for the SES light to come on.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My problem is just a loss of power. It is not as peppy and takes more effort on the pedal to go as fast. You can feel a slight surging in and out when you are going slow with your foot off the gas. Idles fine. It sounds like I have an air leak because the car is making a whirling noise when I rev it up. I am going to go over everything under the hood to see if something is loose or maybe a hose. I had the intake off the car 6 months ago so maybe the stuff is not tight.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Teching In

what happens if you try to floor it, or give it alot of gas? does it hesitate and feel like sluggish? kinda julting? if it does, then you might have a bad cylinder coil, have your spark plugs and cylinder coils checked out. I had the same problem on my car around 60k miles...I changed out all my cylider coils just b/c its better to do them all at once, not that expensive if you do it yourself. And as for the fuel injector cleaner, it is VERY recommended to use it the same time you change your oil, that way you keep track of how often you put it in. Doing it too often isnt good. I have always used Lucas, or Lucus, fuel injector cleaner, dont know how its spelled but thats what it is. Every 3000 miles along with the oil change. And about the gas tank issue, it is also possible you might have gotten some water in your gas (bad gas) and there is treatment to buy for that, ask any local automotive store for it (discount, autozone etc.) Just poor it into your gas tank. I've had that happen before too. That could be another thing to try in case you havnt solved any of the problems yet. But actually what happend to me, I had problems like you are saying with my car, and I tried all those things, but found out it was the cylinder coils and they go bad after about 70k miles, but mine went out early i guess. Not a big deal, but just thought I'd let you know and see if that helps.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro98
And as for the fuel injector cleaner, it is VERY recommended to use it the same time you change your oil, that way you keep track of how often you put it in. Doing it too often isnt good.
Depends on what you use. Redline recommends regular use of their cleaner, in small doses. 1/3-1/6 ounce of cleaner per gallon of gas in every tank. That's what I do, works great.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It goes when you give it gas but it just feels like it is trying harder to go as quick as before. I am on a new tank of gas now. I am going to have to take a look at several things next week during christmas break. I believe the coils could be tested each but it idles as before so no problem there. I just felt like a loss of power at one point and it hasn't been right since. It doesn't jolt or anthing. I am watching my battery and alt. because the pos cable had white powder on it after I thoroughly cleaned every sq. in. when a new battery was installed a few weeks ago. I haven't determined if the battery is leaking because it is not real obvious if it is. I cleaned it all up again and am watching it.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Launching!

As far as the 44K I use it pretty regularly. I pour a fuel bottle i nat about 1/4 tank than drive to the gas station and fillup. It is only about 4 miles away. I use the induction kits and MOA for the oil. I have had great results w/the BG line of products. The 44K runs about $4 and the kits run about $30. The MOA I get free when I buy a 44K and and induction kit.

A co-worker had a recent problem like yours stated. We cleaned the MAF and it run lots better. He is running an K&N filter. Just a thought.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is in the kit? How do you use the induction kit? Is there something to clean the maf with? I heard you have to be careful with these. I am using a K&N too. It is not a new filter. Is the 44K the fuel injection cleaner? Where do you get your stuff from? They charge 100.00 at the dealer to do the full service fuel injection cleaning with the machine.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01WS6er
As far as the 44K I use it pretty regularly. I pour a fuel bottle i nat about 1/4 tank than drive to the gas station and fillup. It is only about 4 miles away. I use the induction kits and MOA for the oil. I have had great results w/the BG line of products. The 44K runs about $4 and the kits run about $30. The MOA I get free when I buy a 44K and and induction kit.

A co-worker had a recent problem like yours stated. We cleaned the MAF and it run lots better. He is running an K&N filter. Just a thought.
I agree with the maf being dirty. Get some CRC maf cleaner at Pep Boys or if you can't find it then some rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Just be extremely careful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel injector cleaners?