Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

an easy, cheap breather solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default an easy, cheap breather solution

well guys i have discovered a real simple breather solution for our cars and most of all cheap! cost me $12!

when i did my header and intake swap this week i also got rid of the egr, air, and the pcv system. well i capped off all of the openings on the pcv and i wanted to have a nice looking breather on there to still have everything working properly. i didnt want to spend a butt load of money however on the metco breather that is so popular. yes it does look great, but $50 is just a bit to much for my college pockets lol.

all i did was go up to autozone, went into the famous ricer section and low and behold, they had quite a few different colors to choose from for a cone shape filter. i picked out the the crome looking one (not to much blinge and not to little, just right for my taste). just make sure that it says that it is 3/4 inch diamter for the bottom rubber peice.

now you can either buy another oil cap while at the store or you can just use your own. if you dont have a 3/4 inch drill bit like i did then you will need to get one of those as well. i didnt use a regular bit, it was one of the kind that you use to make a whole in wood... has the point and then kind of spades out. infact i think it is called a spade bit. anyways try to center that sucker as best as you can and then drill a whole right through the center of it. i attached a picture of this as well so you know what i am talking about.

after that whole is drilled i would recommend drilling out the whole inside rubber part of the filter a little bit bigger as well just so it flows a little bit better. i cant remember what size bit i used, but 5/8 is definatly the highest i would go.

then you just push the filter in the oil cap and bam, your done. clears the hood fine and the oil dipstick actually sticks up higher than the filter. you cant tell from the picture but it does. looks good and works just like the expensive one. feel free to leave any feedback or ask any questions.

Last edited by 68birdls1; 03-13-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks interesting. Do you have to have one of those if you remove egr and air?
Old 12-16-2006, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

no just if you remove the pcv system. and thanks alot...
Old 12-16-2006, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

The problem i had when i put my metco breather there is the rocker arms spit oil out of the breather at high rpm's.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

when you first put a breather on some oil will get out of it, but after a film has been created on the inside of the breather it wont do it as bad. you will still have some oil film spray out but not that bad.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to see i'm not the only one who did this. 50 bucks for a filter just doesn't do it for me. I also have one on the drivers side valve cover, but i may remove that one and just run a cross over line from one valve cover to the other to equalize the removal of the fumes. Haven't taken my car past 4K often since the H/C has been done, so i haven't noticed any oil film yet.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

well to be honest... i have been frequent to the redline after i did my headers and i still dont really have a film over everything yet, so that should be some incentive for others.

but what filter did you go with?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 68birdls1

but what filter did you go with?
Autozone Special Looks just like your only with a red filter element.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
when you first put a breather on some oil will get out of it, but after a film has been created on the inside of the breather it wont do it as bad. you will still have some oil film spray out but not that bad.
XXXXX...MEANING : Lack of BREATHING....= NO GOOD. ..Might as well be back to a closed system..
Old 12-16-2006, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by N4cer
I was thinking the same thing.
NO DOUBT MAN--NO DOUBT.,,,,
Old 12-16-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
XXXXX...MEANING : Lack of BREATHING....= NO GOOD. ..Might as well be back to a closed system..

So you believe that just because it now has a film of oil around the inside of the element, ..., it doesn't breathe?!?

Are you a negative on the use of the K&N design air filter where you simply add an oil film to the element to help catch particles? Do you believe the K&N design element does NOT breathe after adding an oil film also?!?

Hmmm, ...
Old 12-17-2006, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

i never looked at it like you did pontiacfan and that makes even better sense. and to the two people above that said it is bad... what is supposed to happen then? how do yall imagine that the breather is supposed to work?
Old 12-17-2006, 04:46 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can always run a full race breather if your rockers spit that bad.