LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Removing or bypassing the EVAP canister

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Removing or bypassing the EVAP canister

My EVAP canister faled and allowed charcoal to get sucked into the engine. Is also caused the fuel tank to build up excess pressure.

I want to remove or bypass this, I am not going to have another one fail and contaminate the vaccum line and my new engine.

I have removed the exisiting canister, it has three lines connecting to it. The one line runs to the solenoid up front and the other two I have no idea.

Can someone provide instructions how to completely remove or bypass the EVAP canister. Codes are not a problem, they will be removed via a new tune. I dont mind running this emmision as long as it does not include the canister. Also I am also not opposed to running a vented cap.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to the top
Old 12-17-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id like to know this too..
Old 12-17-2006, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

You might have to run a vented cap. A friend of mine put his fuel tank pressure line into the side of his Intake to bleed the pressure out of it. I got thinking about it, and figured that might work, but it is a decent amount of vacumn off of the Intake..and it would run a little rich. Not much, but a little.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is something Im interested in as well. Im not even sure my EVAP is working. Im throwing a couple codes because when I did my swap, I didnt run the wire for the fuel level to the PCM. So Im not even sure the EVAP is doing its job. From what I understand, the PCM needs the fuel level to help calculate things along with the fuel pressure.

ANYWAY...Im installing FRCs, and it would be really nice to just ditch that whole evap mess up front and only have one line goin up to the engine bay.

So is that all thats needed? Drop the tank, remove evap canister and related hoses, plug whatever is opened on top of the tank, and install a vented gas cap...and probably tune some codes out...?? Is there any negative side effects to this?

J.

Quick Reply: Removing or bypassing the EVAP canister