Sponsored by:

Is it the tranny or the tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is it the tranny or the tires?

How can I tell?

Ok, I was going about 23 mph, then I hit the gas. It immediately downshifted to 1st, but it felt like the RPM's were jumping a little. Once it got into second, it felt like something was slipping. The tires were not making any noise which is why I am concerned. Could be the tires, but I'm wondering if there is a way to confirm. Thanks!

EDIT: No SES light

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 12-17-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well first I would try and duplicate it again and have someone watch the tires for tire or even wheel spin, Then if neither is present you have a slipping trans ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-17-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Just had it out, I think it was the tires. I did the same thing today, and felt the back-end sliding out as the car accelerated after the downshift (with the windows open I think I also heard the tires slightly). The car also feels normal when I'm driving normal.

The other night it was pretty damp out and moisture was developing on the car, so I think the moisture in the air had some effect on either the tires or the road. Not sure.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car should most definetely have enough power to break the tires loose doing a downshift to 1st, however you should not lose traction by "upshifting".
Old 12-17-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
The car should most definetely have enough power to break the tires loose doing a downshift to 1st, however you should not lose traction by "upshifting".
Well, I have the HPP+ programmed for firmer shifts, and it definitely increased the tendency of chirping the tires when shifting into 2nd. It's just that when it's warmer out, I can hear the tires screeching, and sometimes it doesn't screech at all, just plants me further into the seat on the harder upshift.

This is with the stock tires (Eagle GS-C)
Old 12-17-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

huh?? I break loose every single time on the 1-2 shift......my roomates z28 will lay down 2 big black rubber stripes on the 1-2 and 2-3......so I don't know what your talking about...
Old 12-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, my car does the same thing and i was wondering the same thing. but im sure its just the tires. its like you can feel and hear the car revving up but your going nowhere and hear no tires, just like a grinding sound kind of
Old 12-17-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Guys I have an FLT Level 4 transmission, with a modified TransGo HD-2 shift kit, big pump and vacuum modulation. Trust me when I say that I am getting plenty of pressure.

What kind of tires are you guys running to spin the tires on upshifts?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

After driving the car today, I am more certain that it's the tires. I did not hear the tires screech when accelerating, but did feel the back end slide out a little.

Now, on a newly-paved road, I hit the gas at 20-25 and heard tires screeching immediately after the downshift, and felt a nice crisp 2nd gear shift.

Also checked the tranny fluid and it still looks new (it's about 500 miles old). Bright red-pink color, does not smell burnt.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Guys I have an FLT Level 4 transmission, with a modified TransGo HD-2 shift kit, big pump and vacuum modulation. Trust me when I say that I am getting plenty of pressure.

What kind of tires are you guys running to spin the tires on upshifts?
I had the same trans (older version), it was an FLP (before there was a "T" ) Level IV in my '00 WS6. I had a 3500 stall, cam, full exhaust, tuning, usual bolt-ons. The car made 365rwhp/350rwtq with an UNlocked stall. I had NO PROBLEM getting the tires to break free on 1-2 upshifts. If the temp was anything below about 60* outside, I'd get a good bit of tire spin on the first couple of 1-2 WOT upshifts until the tires heated. This was with Nitto DRs.

As for downshifting, no matter what the outside temp was, they would always break free a bit with a WOT downshift to 1st until the rubber was hot.

My BFG KDWs would react nearly the same as the Nitto DRs, only they didn't get any better as they heated.