Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install Question AC Recharge

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam Install Question AC Recharge

Im starting to think about my cam installation (sometime in Feb I guess)
Is it really required to depressurize teh AC system to do Cam Install?

I came accross a site advertising cam installation ( nowhere near me) and it just seemed un-nessiary
1998-2002 LS1 F Body (Camaro-Firebird): Package 3 Cam & Installation Prices

1 Comp Cam of your choice ----- $ 369.99
1 Comp pn# 26918-16 Valvesprings ----- $ 178.95
1 Comp pn# 7955-16 Pushrods $ 124.99
1 Comp pn# 3153 Adjustable Timing Chain Set $ 179.99
1 Installation of above components $ 475.00
1 Complete Chassis Dyno Tune $ 450.00
6 Redline 10W30 Synthetic Racing Oil ($8.99 x 6) $ 53.94
1 Oil Filter pn# 1042 $ 9.95
2 Dex-Cool Antifreeze ($13.66 x 2) $ 27.32
1 AC Recharge (Required after cam swap) $ 75.00

Total parts $ 1,020.13
Total Labor $ 925.00
Subtotal $ 1,945.13
Tax $ 61.21
Total Sale $ 2,006.34

Also ...what do you think of these charges..typical
Old 12-17-2006, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

a/c recharge is not necessary, you just move the condensor up and out of the way when you pull the cam. The labor sounds about right, the tuning will vary, I paid $350 for my tune(normally $400 but they had a $50 off christmas special). The cam/springs/pushrods seems a lil steep. Those are 918 springs, TSP offers their cam package for $599.99. Adjustable timing set is up to you, I went with the LS2 timing chain for $35 instead. Make sure they replace that timing cover seal and also the water pump gaskets. Depending on your mileage you may want to get an oil pump as well.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As sykotic said, AC recharge isn't needed. Just move the condenser up, be careful with the hard lines and you should be good.

If I was you, I'd consider doing it myself. Lots of good things to learn, plus you cut that total dollar amount way way down.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by marv
If I was you, I'd consider doing it myself. Lots of good things to learn, plus you cut that total dollar amount way way down.
Good luck!

....Who are you guys.... Mann I so happy that so many people think I have enought talent to ever consider attempting this....
Dude....Im writing a check!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

The company who's site info you listed is a long time sponsor of this site with an extremely good reputation. Know not just for their work, but also for the fact that they strive to do things right.

That being said, if they are removing the AC components during cam install to avoid possible problems with the hardlines, etc. it is simply the way they feel is right for them. As a shop that has to think about every scratch, nick, etc. that a customer can complain about, they do not have the liberty to just throw it up out of the way and hold it there with a bungee cord like we can in our own garages. Is it 100% necessary? Probably not. Is it a realistic alternate solution? Yes, IMO.

Also the only two prices in their package (or any shop's) that matter are the tune and the cam/springs/push rods install. Every other part of that package the owner can supply themselves. Shop around for the parts you want then have a shop install them if you cannot.

I agree with what was stated above. Do most of it yourself, especially if a $75.00 charge seems high to you.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28
The company who's site info you listed is a long time sponsor of this site with an extremely good reputation. Know not just for their work, but also for the fact that they strive to do things right.

That being said, if they are removing the AC components during cam install to avoid possible problems with the hardlines, etc. it is simply the way they feel is right for them. As a shop that has to think about every scratch, nick, etc. that a customer can complain about, they do not have the liberty to just throw it up out of the way and hold it there with a bungee cord like we can in our own garages. Is it 100% necessary? Probably not. Is it a realistic alternate solution? Yes, IMO.

Also the only two prices in their package (or any shop's) that matter are the tune and the cam/springs/push rods install. Every other part of that package the owner can supply themselves. Shop around for the parts you want then have a shop install them if you cannot.

I agree with what was stated above. Do most of it yourself, especially if a $75.00 charge seems high to you.

Just my opinion.

I have no knowledge of price fairness..or even what actually work is required to install a cam...nor was I trying to make any..I was just trying to gauge "average installation requirements" and "average cost"..and at he same time being fully aware that that prices in CA are going to be different from prices in from wherever the info I posted above is from.

Im trying to gauge how much money I might require when I do my ( that is have my ) cam installed, and what corners I might be able to cut in the name of saving $$

I made it a point to NOT mention where I gleaned the information from or mention whether or not if the owner of the information had any affiliations with this site or any other. And was trying ito make it a point not to compare prices with other sites or garages or the necessity of anything that was "extra but not required".

But after reading my text above I can see where I didn't do a good job of "framing" my question.

All that being said....75 bucks is 75 of my budget bucks ....75 bucks is a timing chain ..a new set of wires...plugs....just tweaking the budget..and wondering what "prudent" corners I can cut
Old 12-18-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can do this install yourself. Save some money for other mods all you need is ls1howto.com and get the tools that they recomend and have some time to do it and you can. If i can do a heads and cam swap then you can its not hard it just takes time. Good Luck
Old 12-18-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Whats up LongBeach....
Originally Posted by Long Beach
You can do this install yourself. Save some money for other mods all you need is ls1howto.com and get the tools that they recomend and have some time to do it and you can. If i can do a heads and cam swap then you can its not hard it just takes time. Good Luck
Nope!...Im dropping the car off and writing a check whe I pick it up!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

I understand now what you are saying.

My only point was that they (at this particular shop) do things for a specific reason and never just "because" or to jack up the prices. Maybe they will chime in and specifically answer the question of why they require it and some do not..

As for the 75 bucks, I again see what you are saying.

Regardless, good luck and happy holidays.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28
I understand now what you are saying.

My only point was that they (at this particular shop) do things for a specific reason and never just "because" or to jack up the prices. Maybe they will chime in and specifically answer the question of why they require it and some do not..

As for the 75 bucks, I again see what you are saying.

Regardless, good luck and happy holidays.
Actually I hope they dont..they dont need to "defend anything". They run their business as they see fit and have really dood reasons for doing what they do, they way they choose to do them..

Thanks for the info
Old 12-18-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BitViper
Whats up LongBeach....

Nope!...Im dropping the car off and writing a check whe I pick it up!
Thats cool too. Did you try rob at overkill? I forgot again to mail those templates out i was going to bring them to newport beach on saturday because i read that you were going but i ended up with a cold, chills, and a soar throat so i did not go. I throw them in the mail today for you. Hope everything works out for you
Old 12-18-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

If i was an LS1 shop, i would be removing the ac condenser too.. It's a pain in the butt sometimes when swapping cams. That price seems very reasonable.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Long Beach
Thats cool too. Did you try rob at overkill? I forgot again to mail those templates out i was going to bring them to newport beach on saturday because i read that you were going but i ended up with a cold, chills, and a soar throat so i did not go. I throw them in the mail today for you. Hope everything works out for you
Yeah thats where Im having te work done...cant wait. He's pretty full and going on vacation so te earliest I could get in was the 15th, jso Im collecting parts right now.

I found a set of JBA headers, got my TA cover, trans flushed, Bo Whites doing a TB for me....It comming to gether

Hey thanks for remembering the templates Ill keep an eye on the mail
Old 12-22-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I personally think the labor price is kinda high, especially since you are paying full retail for the parts. I'm not bashing the shop or second-guessing their pricing since as a business you can charge whatever the market demands, but $925 for cam install and spring change just seems high to me.