Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter? How does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter? How does it work?

I don't really understand how the converter works. I know that it helps the transmission during shifts or in between shifts. Also, does putting a higher than stock stall speed make you feel like you are driving around in 3rd gear?
Any info would be great thanks.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Not entirely correct, it is an essential part of the drivetrain that moves the car.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm
Old 12-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Banned

There is a difference at part throttle. Expect the throttle to not be so jumpy at very light throttle. For example, rather than taking about a half inch of throttle to get to 60 over a period of 15 seconds, with the stall it will take more like a full inch or even a hair more to accelerate at that same rate.

Here is a little more info to add to the great link posted above...
http://fuddleracing.com/WhatConvertersDo.html
Old 12-18-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Reicherst02ws6
I don't really understand how the converter works. I know that it helps the transmission during shifts or in between shifts. Also, does putting a higher than stock stall speed make you feel like you are driving around in 3rd gear?
Any info would be great thanks.
Man, that article in post #2 was long and didn't explain how a TC works worth a f$ck.

Its real simple though. Think what would happen if you took two fans and faced them at each other only a couple inches apart. Now you ONLY turn on one fan.............what will the other fan do? It will start to spin from the wind blowing from the other fan.

Well, a TC works the same way except the fan blades inside the enclosed case are blowing/moving fluid.

The TC is bolted to the flywheel so it spins no matter what, if the engine is running. At the same speed as the crank shaft. Thats why you can apply very little brake pressure when sitting still in "drive" and the car won't move. The converter is spinning and its trying to spin the tranny, shaft, axle and ultimately the tires, but its easily overcome by applying the brakes. So when you lift your foot off the brake and hit the gas pedal the converter spins faster, swirling the fluid faster, which makes the tranny spin and then the car moves. Liquid cannot be compressed, for all practical purposes anyway, so when your tranny's converter is full of fluid its pretty tight in there when the fan blades are swirling the fluid.

My explanation anyway.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quickin
Man, that article in post #2 was long and didn't explain how a TC works worth a f$ck.

Its real simple though. Think what would happen if you took two fans and faced them at each other only a couple inches apart. Now you ONLY turn on one fan.............what will the other fan do? It will start to spin from the wind blowing from the other fan.

Well, a TC works the same way except the fan blades inside the enclosed case are blowing/moving fluid.

The TC is bolted to the flywheel so it spins no matter what, if the engine is running. At the same speed as the crank shaft. Thats why you can apply very little brake pressure when sitting still in "drive" and the car won't move. The converter is spinning and its trying to spin the tranny, shaft, axle and ultimately the tires, but its easily overcome by applying the brakes. So when you lift your foot off the brake and hit the gas pedal the converter spins faster, swirling the fluid faster, which makes the tranny spin and then the car moves. Liquid cannot be compressed, for all practical purposes anyway, so when your tranny's converter is full of fluid its pretty tight in there when the fan blades are swirling the fluid.

My explanation anyway.

That is a great explanation of the function of a torque converter! It might sound a little weird folks, but that is what happens in a converter.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

So when you install your converter you need to fill it with fluid or is this already taken care of when you purchase it?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should put a quart in before installing, they ship to you dry. Some people say they've installed converters dry with no problems, but why chance it?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, I've wondered for a while now. I'm going to install my convertor this weekend. My TQ bolts sould be here in the mail tommorrow.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Forgot to ask. What brand/type of fluid do you recommened?
Old 12-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Banned

Dexron 3 with Mercon!
NO SYNTHETICS!
While synthetics can take more abuse and heat, I highly recommend not using them as they run a lower viscosity and simply can't hold clutches tight enough either in the converter or in the transmission.