Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have luck getting SLP headers to seal

Old 12-18-2006, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have luck getting SLP headers to seal

I know I am a gunning for the weld em opn comment but I really do not want to. Has anyone had luck getting these POS headers to seal? My SES light is killing me and my car idles like poo. SES reads slow to respond and I am told that is caused by exhaust leaks typically.

I tried the clamps they gave me - crap, I now have 3" stainless on there and there crap. Do I just have to weld?

I'm the guy who will weld them and then need to pull the tranny the next day
Old 12-18-2006, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

I used to have a set and didn't have any problems.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:22 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the exact code? Are you sure the O2's are plugged in the right spot? How much have you driven it since the install?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:53 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like an O2 issue.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:28 AM
7 Second Club

i welded about a 12'' extension off of each slp header to account for there "ORY" pipe and it fit and clamped fine.... im about to change all the clamps over to a header type flange because im tired of beating the **** out of my ORY every time i need to drop the tranny or take the headers off.... slip fit sux ***...
Old 12-19-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, this is more than likely not an exhaust leak. This is probably an O2 issue, either they are plugged in the wrong place (this is my bet) you are not using sims or don't have codes removed. or you simply have the typical insufficient switching code that often happens with LTs.

Did you extend the o2 sensors? if so are you sure you got all the wires connected right? since you say it idles poorly I'm betting on an o2 sensor issue and not an exhaust leak.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

I have had the headers on for a year. Codes are deleted, I have to rescan to get the exact code but it reads "slow to respond" both banks front o2's. I know the system is leaking because I can hear it and I have water spot under both collectors when the sits at idle. I bought brand new extensions, changed out the 02's twice and yes, they're plugged in correctly... there is only one way to install them? The guy I bought them from told me he had a hell of a time getting them to seal so I thought maybe it was a common problem. Maybe I just got bad headers? One guy on here told me to just delete the code, another guy said absolutely not, fix the leak. I plan to take the entire exhaust down this weekend and re install it.

Nobody else has problems with these headers??????
Old 12-21-2006, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

I've had mine for 4 years now and had the same problem. I welded on a set of the flowmaster ball type socket flanges and haven't had a problem since with any codes.Slip fit sucks!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

what gaskets did you use?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Stock GM exhaust manifold gaskets.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Teching In

This just re-pisses me off! I had no troubles with mine after I had my SLP LT put on till I had to have the Tranny fixed. The shop that did it F*cked me and a bunch of other people then closed down. After they played with the car one of the NEW problems it had was the O2 codes it started making... I have had them deleted now but Grrrrrr....
Old 12-22-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

First things first. Go under and recheck your O2 connections. Stupid question, but did you plug your MAF back in if you had it off? That would REALLY cause an idle issue. Also, those clamps SLP gives you have to be tight as H#LL in order for them to seal correctly.

I've had my SLP LT's on for over two years now w/ stock bolts in the heads and used everything they gave me. It took my stock bolts about 1k miles to seat in there w/ retightening them twice. But other than that no problems. Other than ground clearancew..... I also had to retighten my collector to cat clamps and my cat to Y clamps several times for minor ticking exhaust leaks.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

I will recheck everything but I know it's all plugg=ed in and correct. I even went as far as to steal o2's from a buddies car that was not throwing any codes and sure enough the ight is back on. The idle I was talking about is not bad it's just a little rough, also a surge type of idle with no cam which to me says exhaust leak???? It sounds like this is a bit more common as I thought.

Mine were fine too until the stall install and here is where I am. I bet the exhaust is just loose.

Thanks for the input. I will check back with any news
Old 12-22-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Veteran

If you really tightened it up enough to where it won't move, it prolly wouldn't be effected THAT much from a loose EXH connection.

You didn't fry any O2 wires, did you? Something's up... Something didn't get plugged back in or something. THat's odd..
Old 12-23-2006, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

I've had my lt's for 3-4 years now. No problems yet. Dropped the exhaust from the collector back several times for mods. I like the SLP lt's. Ground clearance sucks though.

Search this Thread