Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

fitting a car seat in the back of a T/A

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fitting a car seat in the back of a T/A

can it fit in there ok?

im a new guy. owned a 91 T/A for a year or so then...ben into stangs...now looking into a 94-97 T/A. i have a 4 month old son and want to know if i have to take him somewhere in a T/A if his car seat will fit. (if you have done it pics would be great.

im looking into a T/A but want to make sure his seat will fit. we have a Jeep for a family car so this is just in case she has the jeep and im home with the baby and have to go somewhere.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rear facing right? they both fit, but the passenger seat has to be pushed forward, if anyone big sits in the passenger seat they will be kissing their knees, my wife is small (4'10 103 pounds) and she fits perfect with our forward facing seat.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Teching In

yes im concerned with a rear facing seat right now...and then later on a forward facing when he is bigger.

she is about 5'-7/9"

we have made a trip with him in my DD civic....so we know uncomfort...and im sure more room in a T/A.

im debating between another 96-98 GT or a 93-97 T/A.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:29 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

In 2000, the 'birds have federally-mandated anchor brackets in the hatch area that will better attach the car seat.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
In 2000, the 'birds have federally-mandated anchor brackets in the hatch area that will better attach the car seat.

yea thats part of the new LATCH system.

but ill be looking into a LT1...not LS1..... right now
Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes im concerned with a rear facing seat right now...and then later on a forward facing when he is bigger.

she is about 5'-7/9"

we have made a trip with him in my DD civic....so we know uncomfort...and im sure more room in a T/A.

she will definitely have more room as far as width goes, and lenght should give you a bit too - rear facing I beleive actualy gives her more room for her legs, the mustang will be a lot slower than the LT1 bird if you get a 93-97, and I don't personally like the body style of the Stangs those years, go to some used car dealerships and test it out, you don't have to buy it, but trust me you'll fall in love
Old 12-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Teching In

ive owned 4 stangs since my 91 T/A. 3 94-98's and one 99-04

i know stangs in and out....im honestly obsessed with them.... but i kinda want a change for a while. so im thinking T/A again.

there are no lots around here with a 93-97 T/A.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't get an LT1, you will be much happier with an LS1 and they are selling for the $6-10K range now also. If you had an '04 Mustang I'm sure you can appreciate owning newer vehicles.

Child seats fit just fine in an f-body, rear or forward facing. You just need to find seats that have a narrow base, not those huge platform bases that are designed to sit on top of flat seats like a truck has. My 10-second Formula was our family car when my Son was born, until about age 2.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Don't get an LT1, you will be much happier with an LS1 and they are selling for the $6-10K range now also. If you had an '04 Mustang I'm sure you can appreciate owning newer vehicles.

Child seats fit just fine in an f-body, rear or forward facing. You just need to find seats that have a narrow base, not those huge platform bases that are designed to sit on top of flat seats like a truck has. My 10-second Formula was our family car when my Son was born, until about age 2.
im looking into LT1 so i can pay cash. i will NOT finance anything. im using a few grand from savings. we are saving to buy/build a new house so i want to acrue no debt.

ill look into a more narrow car seat.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that one fit in my 91 Firebird, and the seats are interchangeable between 3rd and 4th gen FBody. Cant say about interior space changes between then though.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Do what I did the last time I went car shopping...bring the carseat and kid with you.

Seriously, though I had a 91 Firebird and a 97 TA. They were both about the same in size for the rear. Don't expect much room for your front passenger b/c you will need it most of the way up. I can't speak on the room for a rustang.

I used a Graco seat with the interchangble base in both of them. If you get leather, put some towels underneath to protect it.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

my ex had a daughter who would be in a carseat in the back of my Formula, and it fit no problem
Old 12-19-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

My daughter fits just fine she has a rear facing seat, I don't use the base, I just put her car seat in the seat and run the seat belt throught the loops and over the top of the car seat. It actully fits tighter in my car then in my wifes with the base because it sits down in the seat. As far as leg room I don't think you would really be able to have a passenger sit there comfortably. With my son he has the forward facing car seat and we don't have any problems with that my wife can ride just fine she does have to move up alittle but that is not that bad. But all in all my son loves "daddys race car" and I have both my kids in the car daily taking them to day care. So if you really want the car trust me you can make it work, you will have to sacrifice some comfort for every one to fit but it is worth it to me because I love my car.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have my sons booster seat and my daughters car seat in my TA and they work just fine. I had the local PD install my daughters seat.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Teching In

right now we have an evenflo seat that uses a base...the base stays in the car etc. etc.

which ones are you all using in your T/A?

is there a base narrow enough to fit in the seat of a T/A
Old 12-20-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Most car seats have slot on both side so you can run the seat belt through them, it takes longer to get the seat in and out but it will sit down in the seat really well and in my car it holds it better than when it is in the base in my wife's car. If you need to see some pics i could take some tommorrow. As for putting a base i have not seen one that would fit down in the seat, i might be wrong but i have looked for one for my daughter and one for my son and i have not found any thing yet.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ramshaft
Most car seats have slot on both side so you can run the seat belt through them, it takes longer to get the seat in and out but it will sit down in the seat really well and in my car it holds it better than when it is in the base in my wife's car. If you need to see some pics i could take some tommorrow. As for putting a base i have not seen one that would fit down in the seat, i might be wrong but i have looked for one for my daughter and one for my son and i have not found any thing yet.

coo. thanks... i was just wondering if there was a base to fit inside the bolstered seats of the T/A. guess if i go with one we will have to strap the seat in by itself.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

If i thinking about it when it is light out side i will take a pic or two so any one that does not know what i am talking about can see how it fits.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Watch out for a higher milage lt1. I got a great deal on a 1997 ws6 (102,000 miles) but put another 2000.00 into it. (optispark, abs sensor, two cat converters) I am not discouraging you from buying one but be cautious. I'm pretty sure in the long run you will be spending about the same.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by j-rod17

she is about 5'-7/9"

Maybe you should get an suv. I kept the trans am and bought a mid 90's Grand cherokee when my daughter was born.

Quick Reply: fitting a car seat in the back of a T/A