Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Overheated - Need Some Help Diagnosing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Overheated - Need Some Help Diagnosing Problem

2000 Trans Am WS6 overheated, the temp. made it all the way up to about 260. Coolant started to spill out from the overflow tank. I shut it down immediately, let it cool off and re-filled the coolant.

I did a search, and could not find anything similar to the symptoms my car is having now, so I am hoping you might be able to help diagnose the problem.

(1) The heat/AC will not come through the ducts on my dash. It seems to only be coming out of the 'defrost vent' which is located on the top/middle of my dash. Also, there is a nasty smell only when sitting in the car as if something possibly got burnt.

(2) My clutch pedal is soft and mushy. When I push the clutch in, it does not return back to the normal position. I checked the fluid..it is black. But why would this just happen now as a result of the overheating?

(3) I can see a wire that melted as a result of my headers getting too hot. Does anyone know what this wire controls etc?? The wire is located between the steering column and the engine. I know its hard to see...but thought I would throw it up here to pick your brain a bit. Pics can be seen here:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...303/Car004.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...303/Car003.jpg

None of these issues occurred before my car overheated.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds dumb but did your belt break?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response.

Nope, belts did not break. I let the car sit for awhile, re-filled the coolant and fired it up. It ran/idled fine...the temp was normal...but just noticed the mushy clutch, funky smell and problem with the heat/ac blowing.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) If it only works on certain position like defrost only, sounds like a relay burnt. If you get good fan speed, through the defrost, its probably a relay.

2) As for the clutch if I am not mistaken those are headers and time after time cars getting headers tends to boil the clutch fluid, it is good practice to have it flushed and changed.

3) Maybe thats the wire that tells the PCM what temp the car is running at?? The one that melted. I am not sure I havent owned my car long enough to know every wire, unlike my LT1 car. I can name every wire and what it does for the most part.

If anyone else knows better chime in, I hope you get it fixed. If the car over heats, I would check to see if the fans are turning on, get the car on jacks with it running, see if they kick on when the car gets to temp, if they do, then maybe the radiator is going, air pockets/bubbles. I dont know if there is a test for the waterpumps, LT1 cars had a weep hole that dripped coolant on the opti
Old 12-19-2006, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

the harness looks to be the front o2 circuit or the oil level sender minght wanna do some checking
Old 12-20-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The most common reasons for over heating, I have found are: the water pump is bad, thermostat might be stuck closed, theres crap on the radiator blocking air flow, and the lower air dam missing.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the suggestions.

Anymore ideas as to why the heat / AC will not blow out of the air ducts on the dash? When I turn the heat / AC on, I can hear it put a load on the motor..but very little/no air comes out of the ducts. Also, when turned on..it gives off a nasty smell of coolant. Anymore suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I might just be over critical since this happened...but it seems like the tone of my motor has changed since this incident. The car does not sound as throaty...and the engine seems to be working harder at idle than before. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

that wire is for the engine temp sensor. if its fuqqered up then your fans might not be coming on correctly. second, when you over heat that smell gets into your vents and you'll smell it for a few days. plus, you should also check your heater core if its leaking. replace your clutch fluid, it got boiled. check all fuses and relays and then your wireing harness in your engine bay for your fans.

ski
Old 01-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies.

I just got back from vacation, and took my car out for a ride. I let the car warm up etc... and noticed that whenever I get over 2500 RPM my oil pressure shoots up like crazy. What would cause this? I imagine it is related to my car overheating.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First - fix that wire. Not sure which one it is but the above post that it may be temp sensor makes sense. Then check your fuses - you may have blown a fuse or several fuses that affect the heater, fans, etc.

Avoid letting the car overheat - overheating aluminum block and head engines is not good.

Flush the clutch fluid - it's time anyway.

Then we can start to address the oil pressure issue.